Did you mean: 

Best cards for international use

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Best cards for international use

@CreditDunce wrote:

@370Z wrote:

No need for the Travel Rewards since the Arrival renders it useless. Otherwise good to go.

How so?  TR has a base CB of 1.5%, with a bonus of 10%, 25%, 50% or 75% depending on your relationship bonus with BoA.   With the highest relationship bonus, the TR is a 2.65% CB card with no AF.  That beats the Arrival+ 2.22% CB - $89 AF, hands down.

Plus I think both the TR and Arrival+ are chip-n-pin secondary cards:

TR: CVM1: Chip-n-sig, CVM2: Chip-and-Pin(online), CVM3: No CVM

Arrival+: CVM1: Chip-n-sig, CVM2: No CVM, CVM3: Chip-n-Pin.  (I assume online, but I am not sure)

OP: I would check with BoA to see if they can give you a pin for the TR card.  I have read it is chip-n-pin, but I don't have the card yet.

I would also think about a pin-n-chip(off line) card.  Most of the cards in the US require the credit card machine to be online.  It is unlikely you will find any, but there are a few places in Europe where the kiosk is not online.  There are a few places you can get offline chip-n-pin cards (SDFCU, Andrews, USAA, Wells Fargo).   However, it might be be easiest to get a prepaid EMV card with pin.   It might even be best to buy it once you are in Europe.  I have heard there are some French gas stations that only accept local CC's. 

sorry I hate to disappoint you but also BofA is chip & signature.  All of my cards are chip & signature if they have chip and for automated vending machines or grocery self check out ALL cards get processed with pin but that is irrespective of chip. I can use my Cap1 VS  by just swiping at grocery self check out and it requires the pin (ATM)  pin. The only real chip & pin are my European cards.  Don't worry too much....you will be fine with your cards if you don't mind signing ..Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 30
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@370Z wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

@370Z wrote:

No need for the Travel Rewards since the Arrival renders it useless. Otherwise good to go.

How so?  TR has a base CB of 1.5%, with a bonus of 10%, 25%, 50% or 75% depending on your relationship bonus with BoA.   With the highest relationship bonus, the TR is a 2.65% CB card with no AF.  That beats the Arrival+ 2.22% CB - $89 AF, hands down.

Arrival+: CVM1: Chip-n-sig, CVM2: No CVM, CVM3: Chip-n-Pin.  (I assume online, but I am not sure)

OP: I would check with BoA to see if they can give you a pin for the TR card.  I have read it is chip-n-pin, but I don't have the card yet.

I would also think about a pin-n-chip(off line) card.  Most of the cards in the US require the credit card machine to be online.  It is unlikely you will find any, but there are a few places in Europe where the kiosk is not online.  There are a few places you can get offline chip-n-pin cards (SDFCU, Andrews, USAA, Wells Fargo).   However, it might be be easiest to get a prepaid EMV card with pin.   It might even be best to buy it once you are in Europe.  I have heard there are some French gas stations that only accept local CC's. 

The OP stated 2.2% for travel redemptions for the Arrival+ in the post. (S)he likely would have included the relationship bonus with BoA if there is one. 2.2% > 1.5%.

Correct. I only use BofA for credit, neither checking nor investments, so no bonus rewards from BofA for me. Smiley Tongue

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 22 of 30
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

@370Z wrote:

sorry I hate to disappoint you but also BofA is chip & signature.  All of my cards are chip & signature if they have chip and for automated vending machines or grocery self check out ALL cards get processed with pin but that is irrespective of chip. I can use my Cap1 VS  by just swiping at grocery self check out and it requires the pin (ATM)  pin. The only real chip & pin are my European cards.  Don't worry too much....you will be fine with your cards if you don't mind signing ..Smiley Happy

Here is the source of which cards support what:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid

I believe the spreadsheet was created with the help of a program called cardpeek.  It allows the reading which CVM methods are programmed into the EMV chip.  From my reading of spreadsheet, the TR should have the chip-n-pin(online only) as secondary.  Of course, it is possible that BoA doesn't have the chip-n-pin programmed on the back end.  I would certainly believe your experiences more than something I read on the internet.

Message 23 of 30
rlx01
Established Contributor

The Arrival+ supports both online and offline PIN, but after signature in the CVM list.

The only widely available Chip + PIN card in the US is the new Diners Club.
Message 24 of 30
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
The Arrival+ supports both online and offline PIN, but after signature in the CVM list.

Are you sure the Arrival+ supports offline chip-n-pin?  I ask because I setup my pin via Barclay's website after I received my Arrival+ card.  I don't see how they would be able to program the pin into the card.  I could understand it if I did it through an ATM machine.

The only other card I know that is primarily a chip-n-pin is the UN FCU credit card.   Anyone can join via joining UNA-USA, but I think it is fairly expensive. 

If I had to have a chip-n-pin primary card for travel, I would buy one of the pre-paid EMV debit cards.  Many FCU's offer them.   I wouldn't think you would need much money on the card, there are not many places that require a chip-n-pin offline card.  However, I do like to be prepared for anything.

Message 25 of 30
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Are you sure the Arrival+ supports offline chip-n-pin?  I ask because I setup my pin via Barclay's website after I received my Arrival+ card.  I don't see how they would be able to program the pin into the card.  I could understand it if I did it through an ATM machine.

The only other card I know that is primarily a chip-n-pin is the UN FCU credit card.   Anyone can join via joining UNA-USA, but I think it is fairly expensive. 

If I had to have a chip-n-pin primary card for travel, I would buy one of the pre-paid EMV debit cards.  Many FCU's offer them.   I wouldn't think you would need much money on the card, there are not many places that require a chip-n-pin offline card.  However, I do like to be prepared for anything.

Do you really think the 4 cards with Chip & Sig/PIN that I have aren't suffienct, and that I should look into getting a prepaid EMV card with Chip/PIN primary?

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 26 of 30
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Should I bring more than one debit card? I could bring my Cap One debit card (mag strip)- not sure if it has any forex fees or not... Smiley Frustrated

Message 27 of 30
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Do you really think the 4 cards with Chip & Sig/PIN that I have aren't suffienct, and that I should look into getting a prepaid EMV card with Chip/PIN primary?

I think you will be fine.  Having a chip-n-pin primary card might help you blend in more.  But it isn't that important.  I am just one of those people that always wants to have a backup plan available.

Message 28 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Set the primary goal to use the card that gets you best rewards for the purchase and forget the chip....it is not a priority criteria at least not for Europe. I have been using Cap1 and Discover when appropriate and both cards have no chip. I would never select the payment just for the chip card unless a card could not be processed. The only time a swipe card was not accepted was for a residential service which a visitor would never use anyway. Other than that my cards can be used with or without chip. Once you will have real chip&pin then you will realize the convenience of paying but otherwise the process is the same for you. So enjoy your trip and do not think too much about this chip. 😋

Message 29 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Just be clear on your T&Cs.  IIRC, my AMEX cards limit my rewards to US purchases.  I'm not sure how Chase, Barclay, or BoA are, since I don't have a CC with any of those lenders (I'll work on that next year!).

You make an excellent point. Smiley Happy I'll definitely double check how rewards work on each card and report back on it by the weekend.

all my no FTF cards work the same way in Europe as in the US as long as the merchant category is the same. Discover pays 5% on Swiss gas stations during promo periods. Tested Amazon Europe (.de and .co.uk) with Sallie Mae and yes the 5% worked but with FTF.  My next test will be BCP for a small grocery purchase and I am sure AX is FTF and no rewards Smiley Sad

Did you try (guess you have to wait two statements to see!)  THe T&Cs pretty clearly state that groceries are for US purchases only. (+ the FTF!)  I use PenFed Plat Rewards, which has no FTF and "3%" uncapped on groceries, but the redemption rate makes this more like 2.55%

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.