Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for oversea vacation

tag
slg
New Contributor

Best cards for oversea vacation

Myself and my hubby are going to be taking a trip overseas to Paris and surrounding areas in the summer. I have been looking into cards witha chip and pin that have no foreign transaction fees and I need some suggestions. Cards that have overseas perks as bonus or airline bonuses would be great too but only if they are air France or air Canada. Anyone have any insight or reccomendations?
BCE 12800, bofa travel rewards 8k, Barclays apple 6200, Macy's 2000, Macy's Amex 3200, merrick bank 300 , Victoria secret 1350, jcrew 1350
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best cards for oversea vacation

Chase Hyatt - 2 free nights each at any Hyatt with $100 statement credit sign up bonus, if you app through your Hyatt rewards site.  No forex fee with chip.

Message 2 of 17
zeusta20
Established Contributor

With the Chase Sapphire Preferred, you get 2x the points on AIRTRAVEL when you book through Ultimate Rewards through Chase. No foreign Transaction fees, HOWEVER, there is an annual fee, But its worth it. Also, if you spend 3k within the 3 months of opening, you get a bonus of 40k points which is equivalent to 500.00 when you book flights through chase.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 3 of 17
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I'm sorry...they are not air france or air canada though....

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 4 of 17
gpfirestone
New Contributor

air canada is amex platinum.  i would do that with a signup bonus.  use the $200 travel credit and lounges while you travel too.  save your pts and when aeroplan does a bonus transfer them.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 5 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

air canada is amex platinum.  i would do that with a signup bonus.  use the $200 travel credit and lounges while you travel too.  save your pts and when aeroplan does a bonus transfer them.

Right, with the MB Platinum, there's a 50K bonus, no forex, emv chip, and $200 airline credit per calendar year, etc...

Combine that with Chase Hyatt's free rooms, and you've got quite a vacation!

Message 6 of 17
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@gpfirestone wrote:

Right, with the MB Platinum, there's a 50K bonus, no forex, emv chip, and $200 airline credit per calendar year, etc...

Combine that with Chase Hyatt's free rooms, and you've got quite a vacation!

hmmm, never thought of that. I like the way you think! lol

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 7 of 17
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. Why chip and pin? Chip and signature should be fine for Paris.

2. For reasons I still cannot fathom, CSP is still chipless. That being said, you would get 40k UR points at signup and 2pts/dollar on tickets and all travel/restaurant spend. No forex fees. You could then convert to Korean Air points, which can be used on SkyTeam flights, including AirFrance. I agree the Amex Plat would be a straighter shot, but some may struggle with the AF, even with lounge, redemption for airline expenses, global entry, etc.

3. Maybe Citi Hilton Reserve? Depends on hotel plans, but does earn points for hilton stays and 5pts/dollar on travel (if you value hhonors at 0.5cpp, thats still 2.5pts/dollar equiv).

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

1. Why chip and pin? Chip and signature should be fine for Paris.

2. For reasons I still cannot fathom, CSP is still chipless. That being said, you would get 40k UR points at signup and 2pts/dollar on tickets and all travel/restaurant spend. No forex fees. You could then convert to Korean Air points, which can be used on SkyTeam flights, including AirFrance. I agree the Amex Plat would be a straighter shot, but some may struggle with the AF, even with lounge, redemption for airline expenses, global entry, etc.

3. Maybe Citi Hilton Reserve? Depends on hotel plans, but does earn points for hilton stays and 5pts/dollar on travel (if you value hhonors at 0.5cpp, thats still 2.5pts/dollar equiv).

I'd suspect that the CSP isn't "high-end enough" to justify the costs of adding a chip. In saying that, I mean that the majority of people who have the card don't absolutely need it. By design it's a card that was intended for high earning/spending travellers, but in practice it's become a more everyday card for many people. I doubt the vast majority of CSP cardholders travel to places that require a chip even once a year.

Besides the cards already mentioned, the US Bank Club Carlson card is one to consider. While I'm normally not a fan of their properties, they do have some nice ones in Paris. It offers a decent signup bonus, gold status, and the last night free on point redemptions.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Maybe one of the reasons for not having a card with a chip is that it is easy to steal the information from it.  I have heard stories about how there are some people who hang around airports with chip readers and simply steal the card information and then either use or sell it.  I have a friend that it happened to, so be careful maybe keep them in a steel wallet.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.