cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for rewards - travel and general?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best cards for rewards - travel and general?

I mean the AMEX PRG. You earn delta miles faster on that card especially if you take advantage of transfer promotions. The AMEX co branded card would be a better choice if you have no intention of transfering points into other programs or you check bags but don't fly enough to get elite status.

Message 11 of 18
BlueHusky
Contributor

For hotels, look into the Hilton Honors card from AMEX.

The account opening bonus is 40,000 points - it only takes 7,500 points per night for a category 1 hotel (most hampton inns, usually $99 night) so the bonus is worth about $500. A stay in waldorf astoria is about 70,000 points, but you get 3pts per dollar (up to 10 points per dollar for some categories).

I'm interested in it and might possibly get it.

Starting Score: 583 (CreditKarma, 2009)
Current Score: 783 (Walmart Free FICO, March 20, 2012), 774 (Equifax, BoA Pull, 2/20/13)
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean the AMEX PRG. You earn delta miles faster on that card especially if you take advantage of transfer promotions. The AMEX co branded card would be a better choice if you have no intention of transfering points into other programs or you check bags but don't fly enough to get elite status.

That makes sense.  Thanks!

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 18
adavis425
Established Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

Platinum for travel rewards and MR points flexibility, but there are carriers and hotels that are omitted.

Many prefer Chase's Sapphire Preferred and the signup bonus is/was pretty generous as long as the spend requirements were met. Picks up where the AMEX may lack.

Can't think of too many others that provide a robust partner transfer from your other lenders though. I could be wrong, but aren't the Venture cards pretty ok?

+1. Really nice travel card! Smiley Happy

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 14 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Platinum for travel rewards and MR points flexibility, but there are carriers and hotels that are omitted.

Many prefer Chase's Sapphire Preferred and the signup bonus is/was pretty generous as long as the spend requirements were met. Picks up where the AMEX may lack.

Can't think of too many others that provide a robust partner transfer from your other lenders though. I could be wrong, but aren't the Venture cards pretty ok?

The Venture Rewards card (the 2%) is great, but with the one drawback being that it can only be redeemed for a statement credit.  I've found using miles at different airlines/hotels to have a greater value than 2%.

For the same fee, the SPG is better especially given the 25% redemption to lots of airlines. 

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

The Venture Rewards card (the 2%) is great, but with the one drawback being that it can only be redeemed for a statement credit.  I've found using miles at different airlines/hotels to have a greater value than 2%.

For the same fee, the SPG is better especially given the 25% redemption to lots of airlines. 

Open has very good and detailed knowledge when it comes to credit reward programs. His/her advice is golden and is very acurate. I can tell that open is getting the best out of his/her cards.

Message 16 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Open has very good and detailed knowledge when it comes to credit reward programs. His/her advice is golden and is very acurate. I can tell that open is getting the best out of his/her cards.

Hahaha...Thanks, but this only betrays how cheap...er...frugal I really am.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahaha...Thanks, but this only betrays how cheap...er...frugal I really am.

Some say cheap, I say smart. Points have really helped me out at times.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.