Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for travel

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Best cards for travel

@cowboyguy wrote:

Bump... I have a few questions with respect to the original post...

1)     For me United has the best number of award seats, and best fares. Economy Savers to Asia for 65,000 points round trip

in High season tickets to Asia can cost $2,800 roundtrip, or 65,000 points

How’s it possible that the economy flight to Asia is for 65,000 points while Chase, on its website says that 40,000 points are worth $500 Ticket? Does it mean 25,000 UR points are worth $2,300?

2)     My second question is can we reap the similar kind of benefits without United?

3)     Chase CSP - $95 annual fee, Free foreign transaction costs, 2.14% on restaurants and travel 1.07% for travel

When Freedom earns 5% on restaurants, one shouldn’t use CSP for restaurants, right?

4)     Learning how to max out the Freedom card every quarter is tricky but not impossible  coughgiftcardspharmaciescough

I didn’t fully get this. Gift cards and pharmacies can only be utilized to maximized points for one quarter only. It would be difficult to get the full 7,500 points for other quarters, right?

1. You'd have to transfer UR points to a United Airlines mileage account

2. Yes.
3. Assuming you have a Freedom, yes.
4. You can buy gift cards from whatever store is in the quarterly category. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 15
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

HiLine, so what? Its not a big deal. CSP transfers 1:1
Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 12 of 15
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I just wanted to throw it out there. First pick what destinations you prefer to go, then get cards to build around it. 5-6% cash back doesn't make sense for travel when points can be worth so much more. $12,800 First class ticket to Asia from Florida can cost 130,000 points on a saver package. That's almost 10 cents per point!

For me United has the best number of award seats, and best fares. Economy Savers to Asia for 65,000 points round trip.

So this is what I've done

United Club - 1.5 miles per dollar spent on ANYTHING it has a very high annual fee $395, but MANY benefits outweighs the cost imo. Ability to meet your friends and family at the GATE as they get off the plane, free lounge access around the world, Priority security line access, Priority boarding, Priority check in, 2 free checked in bags, get your bags out First and more. I put things like mortgages on this card to get the most out of it.

Chase CSP - $95 annual fee, Free foreign transaction costs, 2.14% on restaurants and travel 1.07% for travel.

Chase Ink - $0 annual fee version gets me 5x points on cellphone, landline, internet, cable, 2x for gas

Chase Freedom - $0 annual fee 5x points on category spending upto 30,000 points a year.

Learning how to max out the Freedom card every quarter is tricky but not impossible Smiley Wink coughgiftcardspharmaciescough

This way even a modest person 

$1,200 month mortgage = 21,600 points   (club)  $14,400

$60 week on restaurants = 6700 points (Sapphire) $3,120

$300 month on cable,internet, cell etc = 18,000 points (Ink) $3,600

$3,000 year on gas x2 = 6,000 points (ink) $3,000

$1,500 quarter x5 = 30,000 points (freedom) $6,000

This would add upto about 82,300 points without ANY non-bonus category spending! Enough for 1 Free trip to the other side of the world! Smiley Happy for spending only approximately $30k   + $490 in annual fees.

This doesn't includes groceries , power and water bill, property taxes, income tax, normal clothing spending.

in High season tickets to Asia can cost $2,800 roundtrip, or 65,000 points = 4.3 cents per point value.   

82,300 points would be roughly valued around $3,540 for this my use. Effectly getting over ($30,490 spending) 11 cents per value even with the annual fees factored in WITHOUT bonus categories for Economy + all the benefits of all the cards. 

I don't know about you but I prefer to get 11% + back on my travels vs 5-6% cash back! besides those cash back nickle and dime into your account, and personally I don't feel like I been really awarded lol! 

Remember if you save up for a first class award (130,000 saver award)  or $12,800 peak season ticket .  $47,870 spening in 1.57 years of saving the points.

$47,870 spending to get a $12,800 ticket is VERY NICE! basically a 26.7% rebate on each dollar spent~!

Fun note if you wanted to make fun of the system, you could also buy $4,300 worth of Magazines from Magazines.com =x and get about 130,000 points (30x ultimate rewards mall LMAO) to get a $12,800 ticket Smiley Wink

I need my dramamine...your posts has made me dizzy...lol...Smiley Tongue

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 13 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@cowboyguy wrote:

HiLine, so what? Its not a big deal. CSP transfers 1:1

the question asks: how is it possible? I answered it by explaning how to Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

haha sorry I meant to say its weird. With CSP you get 40,000 bonus points. Just after getting 25,000 UR points, you can essentially get a $2,800 ticket to Asia. Interesting!

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.