Reply
Established Member
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎04-18-2012
0

Best cashback card for light spenders

I was reviewing cards and I'm trying to figure out what would be best as a cash back card for me. I was looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred due to the no forex fee card but it was too travel oriented I already have a Capital One card but it only has a CL of $750 but it was almost my first CC and a BOA Plat Plus with a CL of $2000. The Amex blue cash cards seem tempting but I hear it is better for heavier spenders. Citi Dividends I hear is good but my family keeps telling me not to do business Citi. Right now I have two CC's that I basically PIF each time, but I'm not getting the best out of it. I'm probably going to just spend it on groceries/electronics/Paypal and it's going to be light spending ($200 per statement period and PIF max).
EXP 787 Equifax 779 TU 768
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 445
Registered: ‎09-14-2011
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

Check Discover More quarterly they have different things that give 5% cash back.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Established Contributor
Posts: 830
Registered: ‎10-25-2011
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders


MCHammerFan wrote:
I was reviewing cards and I'm trying to figure out what would be best as a cash back card for me. I was looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred due to the no forex fee card but it was too travel oriented I already have a Capital One card but it only has a CL of $750 but it was almost my first CC and a BOA Plat Plus with a CL of $2000. The Amex blue cash cards seem tempting but I hear it is better for heavier spenders. Citi Dividends I hear is good but my family keeps telling me not to do business Citi. Right now I have two CC's that I basically PIF each time, but I'm not getting the best out of it. I'm probably going to just spend it on groceries/electronics/Paypal and it's going to be light spending ($200 per statement period and PIF max).


I wouldn't recommend the Chase Sapphire preferred for light spending. Solely because it has an $95 annual fee. Any card with annual fees usually needs a heavier spending to recoup the annual fee cost. Although with it's generous sign up bonus, the card is basically free for 5 years. Further more, its spending is 2% cash back on hotels and restaurants which is not in your list. It is a great card, but not for your purpose today.

 

I think the Amex blue cash card is a good bet. The one without an annual fee though. 3% cash back on supermarkets is what I like most and is on your list. Although I could not find if there was a cap to how much you earn or any fine print on the rewards program.

 

If you have a Chase checking account, I'd recommend the Chase Freedom. The cash back ratio is IMO the best for small purchases or everyday spending because of its rewards bonus if you have a Chase checking. I'll link you to the examples I've previously posted. Just ignore the part about Chase sapphire preferred.

 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSP-Freedom-Checking-Use-wisely/m-p/1355519

I'm a personal banker and do a lot of auto loans serving the Houston area.
I suggest first time car buyers to read the sticky guide in the auto loan section.
I try to check these forums often, but if I missed your post, please feel free to message me with a link to it.
Established Contributor
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

Chase Freedom and Amex Blue Cash Everyday are good cards.  Freedom is good with changing 5% categories, but they are capped at $1500 spend per 3 months.  Still, if you are going for $200 a month, that should be fine.  The Amex has permanent 3% on groceries with no cap or minimum spend, so it should definitely be considered.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 437
Registered: ‎03-19-2010
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

Chase Freedom for light spender. Discover More is just a bad choice IMO
Established Contributor
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders


Mike360 wrote:
Chase Freedom for light spender. Discover More is just a bad choice IMO

I agree, I've never even considered Discover despite the numerous pre-approvals they've sent me.  The .25% on general spending for the first $3,000 per year is pathetic.  This makes the More a very niche card that is typically only good for the few 5% categories.  If you want a solid, general use cashback card there are better options.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
Established Member
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎04-14-2012
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

[ Edited ]

Koop10010 wrote:

Mike360 wrote:
Chase Freedom for light spender. Discover More is just a bad choice IMO

I agree, I've never even considered Discover despite the numerous pre-approvals they've sent me.  The .25% on general spending for the first $3,000 per year is pathetic.  This makes the More a very niche card that is typically only good for the few 5% categories.  If you want a solid, general use cashback card there are better options.


I have a Discover More and couldn't agree more :smileywink:. I was almost surprised when I found out that I have to spend $3k just to get a measly 1% on all purchases! For a person with rather typical spending habits, (buying groceris, gas, paying bills, etc.) the card would really only be good for its 5% categories or maybe the 2% on automatically paid bills.

 

Otherwise, IMO, the Chase Freedom with 1% out of the gate and rotating 5% cateogires easily beats it. One of the Amex Blue cards would also be a good choice, if they are tailored to your particular spending habits.

Wallet:
Chase Freedom
Discover More

SD:
Walmart Discover
Cap1 Platinum
Contributor
Posts: 80
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

[ Edited ]

ShallRecoverIt wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Mike360 wrote:
Chase Freedom for light spender. Discover More is just a bad choice IMO

I agree, I've never even considered Discover despite the numerous pre-approvals they've sent me.  The .25% on general spending for the first $3,000 per year is pathetic.  This makes the More a very niche card that is typically only good for the few 5% categories.  If you want a solid, general use cashback card there are better options.


I have a Discover More and couldn't agree more :smileywink:. I was almost surprised when I found out that I have to spend $3k just to get a measly 1% on all purchases! For a person with rather typical spending habits, (buying groceris, gas, paying bills, etc.) the card would really only be good for its 5% categories or maybe the 2% on automatically paid bills.

 

Otherwise, IMO, the Chase Freedom with 1% out of the gate and rotating 5% cateogires easily beats it. One of the Amex Blue cards would also be a good choice, if they are tailored to your particular spending habits.


I would agree and disagree with some aspects. 

 

The Discover More card is great if: You purchase gas on your card because you earn 5% 6 months of the year at least in 2012. You earn 5% I believe 3 months of the year which is nice, and the October thru December (3 months) which is a big season for spending with Black Friday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas as well as whatever other Holidays you may celebrate you get 5% at Department Stores vs. Chase Freedom's 5% at only Khols and Bestbuy. Oh and I almost forgot for the Month of May Discover is giving 5% on Groceries so at least you get a month there. 

 

The Chase Freedom you got 5% on Amazon this year for January - March, but they had made that October - December to compete with Discovers 5% at department stores they would have blown Discover away. Chase also gives you 6 months of 2012 with 5% on Gas I beleive and at least 3 months of 5% on grocerys and another 3 months on Restaurants.  

 

As far as Utility Bills go Discover this year is giving 2% on Utility Bills while Chase gives 0. Heck if you use it for just say phone internet and tv and your bill is $120 thats just under $30 in cashback right there. Now pair that with other utilities or if it is more and you can make $50 easily. 

 

Last, but not least if you do a lot of online shopping the Shop Discover is better then what Chase offers in my opinion. I think on average Discover gives you more cashback on online purchases. I don't know if Chase does this I can't remember with my Freedom, but I know for sure Discover allows you to use your cashback towards Amazon purchases which is very nice and all ran for a month I beleive Free 1 or 2 day shipping when paying with your Discover earlier this year. 

 

*** Forgot to mention if you are just spending and not going to pay attention to the revolving categories then the Chase you get the 1% on all purchases where the Discover you get a measily 0.25% (Discover you need to fix this!) until you reach something like 2500 or $3000 spent. 

 

With Both Cards you get great customer service and if you make a little schedule for when to use your card on certain categories you can really bring

in more cashback. I will give the edge to the Discover More Card, but Chase is a VERY VERY good company. Hope this helps some people 

 

 

OH One LAST THING: if you can get the get $300 cashback when you spend $500 with the Chase Freedom then go for that and forget Discover because I think they only give you like $50-$150 where Chase gives you a huge incentive to sign up for the card

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Established Contributor
Posts: 500
Registered: ‎05-11-2007
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

I have a blue cash preferred and even though it has a yearly fee, just putting to grocery store stuff on there at 6% back more than pays for the fee for me. I dont spend alot either on credit cards or even cash, but that one makes the most sense for me. I do have a chase freedom as well and like it well enough that i use it pretty regularly. My citi cards dont get much use and i have a wells fargo that is pretty much useless as far as rewards go.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 437
Registered: ‎03-19-2010
0

Re: Best cashback card for light spenders

The reason I say chase freedom is because of the cash bank bonus for signing up. I've earned $367.54 so far and I've put about $4k on it since December. Yes discover more is good for certain things but the spent $3k to reach the 1% sucks.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.