Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best chance at CLI for BT? Chase/Barclay/CapitalOne

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Best chance at CLI for BT? Chase/Barclay/CapitalOne

I'm going to be paying down my debt to an overal utl of about 30% I'm hoping this will increase my scores enough to be able to receive a credit line increase so I can transfer the balance on one of my high interest cards to a lower one. I have established at least 9 months history (or more) with each account.

I'm hoping that before I have to risk a hard pull that Capital One will have some kind of BT offer for me? I've had both cards since Sept 2014. Only limit increase has been from credit steps a year ago. PC'ed a Platinum to a Quicksilver, but that was over 6 months ago.

I still have an open 0% balance transfer, fee free offer from Chase until Sept 2016, but only a $500 limit. I've just paid this to $0.

I would like to ask Barclay because I have an 8.5% rate on the Ring, but I've heard they're stingy with increases?? Will be paid to $0 upon request.

I estimate my scores will be 640-670 or better after balances report.  How should I approach this?

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: Best chance at CLI for BT? Chase/Barclay/CapitalOne

How much are you looking to BT?

None of the above cards are good for huge icreases. Cap1 offers 0%APR BTs at their discretion(in my case, like once a yr)

Chase rarely gives you an increase that's worth the hard pull.

Barclays increases are nothing to write home about either.

...but as always, your miles my vary.

A tip going forward is to get in with lenders who are known for sending BT checks and growning your limits with them for times like these. When one needs a BT card is when they're unattainable...or approved for a low amount.

This is why I got in with Discover and Bank of America and looking to be approved by FNBO. BoA sent me another BT check just today. I get them weekly. Discover always has BT offers.
Message 2 of 5
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:
How much are you looking to BT?

None of the above cards are good for huge icreases. Cap1 offers 0%APR BTs at their discretion(in my case, like once a yr)

Chase rarely gives you an increase that's worth the hard pull.

Barclays increases are nothing to write home about either.

...but as always, your miles my vary.

A tip going forward is to get in with lenders who are known for sending BT checks and growning your limits with them for times like these. When one needs a BT card is when they're unattainable...or approved for a low amount.

This is why I got in with Discover and Bank of America and looking to be approved by FNBO. BoA sent me another BT check just today. I get them weekly. Discover always has BT offers.

Unfortunately for me, I did not get approved for those cards.

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 3 of 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not completely sure what OP is asking for but between the three I would BT to Cap1 first if it's available. Barclays is really dodgey if the balance isn't paid down in a few months.
Message 4 of 5
JSS3
Valued Contributor

How much were you looking to transfer?

Which Chase card offers a fee-free BT longer than the standard first 3 months of opening? 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.