Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit building card?

tag
kball64
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best credit building card?

Gfxmom, please be careful with subprime card offers that have high AF's.  $150 is just crazy. There are many horror stories on these boards about them.  When my scores were all in the low 500's, I got a secured card with National City.  They ran a credit check but it was only to verify my name, address.  The minimum deposit is $200 and the AF is $36 (charged $3 mthly).  I had the card for a few mths and once I was able to get approved for some better cards, I just cancelled it.  Also, do you belong to a credit union?  They are very lenient with their members. 

Good luck!!
Message 31 of 35
creditwize

I was approved for an HSBC Platinum MC with a $300 CL and 14.9% apr with FICO scores in the 500. AF is $59. You may want to check their pre-approval site to see if you qualify for any of their cards. They will do a soft pull for the pre-qual and then if you decide to apply, they will hard pull. I checked my credit reports when I got approved, and it looks like they are pulling from Experian. Here's the link: https://www.hsbcapply.com/

I am using this to get some open TL and to increase my score. When my score gets in the mid 600s, I will try to apply for some other cards.
7/19: TU 532, EX 546, EQ 592
Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody know if the Household Bank secured Mastercard upgrades to an unsecured one and how long? It is the only secured card that offers %2 cash back Smiley Happy and a not-too-bad of an APR too.

Message Edited by workmywayup on 07-29-2008 02:23 PM
Message 33 of 35
tri3nity
Contributor

I have been trying to get an answer to this question myself. No one seems to have the answer.

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Household Bank is HSBC.  As a rule, HSBC-issued secured cards a la Orchard Bank and Household Bank don't graduate, at least not for a long, long time.

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.