Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card for living overseas?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Best credit card for living overseas?

Which credit card do you think would be the best for living overseas?

Obviously a foreign transaction fee would be a problem.

I travel, but not enough to use airport lounges extensively. I return to the states once a year and travel to Europe and Asia maybe 3 times a year.

I already have an AMEX card so applying for the Platinum would be a softpull if denied, but I can't seem to justify the $450 fee.

I'm liking the looks of the CSP but I just opened a few new credit lines and I hear that Chase does not like inquiries.

My scores are decent (all above 710) but I'm not sure if I would qualify for the Venture card. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Best credit card for living overseas?

@charyot77 wrote:

I travel, but not enough to use airport lounges extensively. I return to the states once a year and travel to Europe and Asia maybe 3 times a year.

I already have an AMEX card so applying for the Platinum would be a softpull if denied, but I can't seem to justify the $450 fee.

I'm liking the looks of the CSP but I just opened a few new credit lines and I hear that Chase does not like inquiries.

My scores are decent (all above 710) but I'm not sure if I would qualify for the Venture card. 

My situation is very similar to yours, and I'd pick the CSP if you don't value lounge access. Given the cost and benefits, it seems like the best all-rounder card unless you are quite a heavy spender. How much would you plan on spending per year on the card?

Also do you have a preferred airline or alliance? What about a preferred hotel chain?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 24
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

My situation is very similar to yours, and I'd pick the CSP if you don't value lounge access. Given the cost and benefits, it seems like the best all-rounder card unless you are quite a heavy spender. How much would you plan on spending per year on the card?

Also do you have a preferred airline or alliance? What about a preferred hotel chain?

Thanks CreditScholar, that's exactly what I was leaning towards. 

I only run about $8-$10,000USD through my foreign credit card right now which is a decent sized amount, but not enough to impress the premium product holders.

I have about 50,000 miles locked in with Skyteam and about 12,000 with One World.  I've looked at the Delta AMEX but I'm not sure if the I could combine the Delta Miles with other Skyteam members. And then there's the foreign transaction fee in the background.

Message 3 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think if your credit can't get you into a top end prime cards. You could look into a lower end Crap1 card, and see if you can find one that waives FTF's.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I only run about $8-$10,000USD through my foreign credit card right now which is a decent sized amount, but not enough to impress the premium product holders.

I have about 50,000 miles locked in with Skyteam and about 12,000 with One World.  I've looked at the Delta AMEX but I'm not sure if the I could combine the Delta Miles with other Skyteam members. And then there's the foreign transaction fee in the background.

If your annual spend is only 8-10k, then I can see why you want to stay away from the high AF cards. If 8-10k was your average monthly spend, then I would have definitely recommended a more inclusive product like the Amex plat, United MP Club Card, JPM Ritz, etc.

What you're looking for is a card with ~$100 AF. Other than the CSP, options you could consider are:

1. Chase Hyatt card ($75 AF but it gives 1 free night per year at a category 1-4 Hyatt, platinum status, plus it has an EMV chip)

2. Citi TY Premier ($125 AF, essentially a cash-back card)

3. Citi Hilton Reserve ($95 AF, 1 free weekend night at any hilton worldwide after 10k annual spend, automatic hilton gold status, EMV chip)

4. Chase Marriott Premier ($85 AF, 1 free night annually in cat 1-5 marriotts, marriott silver, although Marriott points aren't worth much so I wouldn't spend a lot on it)

5. Chase Priority Club ($49 AF, 1 free night annually, same issues at Marriott above with the low value points)

6. BofA Travel Rewards (no annual fee, essentially a 1.5% cash back card with EMV)

All of the cards above have no foriegn transaction fees. If your point earning power will be limited by your annual spend, you may as well get some benefit out of paying the AF like a free hotel night. The CSP is still a solid choice as well.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

nice list

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 24
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@charyot77 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

If your annual spend is only 8-10k, then I can see why you want to stay away from the high AF cards. If 8-10k was your average monthly spend, then I would have definitely recommended a more inclusive product like the Amex plat, United MP Club Card, JPM Ritz, etc.

What you're looking for is a card with ~$100 AF. Other than the CSP, options you could consider are:

1. Chase Hyatt card ($75 AF but it gives 1 free night per year at a category 1-4 Hyatt, platinum status, plus it has an EMV chip)

2. Citi TY Premier ($125 AF, essentially a cash-back card)

3. Citi Hilton Reserve ($95 AF, 1 free weekend night at any hilton worldwide after 10k annual spend, automatic hilton gold status, EMV chip)

4. Chase Marriott Premier ($85 AF, 1 free night annually in cat 1-5 marriotts, marriott silver, although Marriott points aren't worth much so I wouldn't spend a lot on it)

5. Chase Priority Club ($49 AF, 1 free night annually, same issues at Marriott above with the low value points)

6. BofA Travel Rewards (no annual fee, essentially a 1.5% cash back card with EMV)

All of the cards above have no foriegn transaction fees. If your point earning power will be limited by your annual spend, you may as well get some benefit out of paying the AF like a free hotel night. The CSP is still a solid choice as well.

From what you've laid out I'll probalby be applying for the CSP or the Citi Thank you Premier in the next few months.

Wow, thanks CreditScholar! That's a great list.

Message 7 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Go for some cards with no AF and no FTF as back up to your primary card. Be sure to tell the issuer that you are traveling.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dustink wrote:

Go for some cards with no AF and no FTF as back up to your primary card. Be sure to tell the issuer that you are traveling.

+1  I'd recommend the Sapphire Preferred or one of the other cards CS listed, then perhaps the Capitol One cashback card and/or the BoA travel rewards card for backups.

Message 9 of 24
tacaza
Valued Member

@charyot77 wrote:

If you don't like the anual fee, then the Cap1 Cash Rewards(1.5% cash back, $0 annual fee, and no FTF) card would be a good pick.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.