cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card for living overseas?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best credit card for living overseas?

State Department FCU is a rewards card with no foreign exchange fee and includes EMV chip.

Message 11 of 24
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

This list has given me a good concept of what my options are for the future. I definitely was looking for something like this.

Thank you for the list CreditScholar. The effort put in it is greatly appreciated.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 12 of 24
samint
Established Member

What about Discover? I believe it doesnt have any FTF. no annual fees either

Message 13 of 24
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I might be wrong, but at least in those countries I've been over last year, Discover acceptance is significantly worse than even of Amex, let alone Visa/MC. 

In Barcelona, Spain I was able to pay with my Discover only in a hotel and in a fancy restaurant - all other places welcomed Visa/MC, but not Discover/Amex.

In Russia I wasn't able to use my Discover even a single time and even in the locations where Diners cards are honored.

Re the discussed thread - I am in exactly the same situation. My 1st choice card is BofA Travel Rewards - I really like 0 FTF and chip and pin comes really handy, especially in Western European countries (UK, France etc). 1,5% cashback is not that much impressive, but I can live with it. My backup cards are Discover (but see my comments above...) and Crap1. 

CSP is most likely out of my league, so I have never seriosuly considered it or any other cards from the list aggregated by CreditScholar. Apart from that I don't like cards with AF as with my spending habits it will be pretty hard to justify literally any AF Smiley Happy

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 14 of 24
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

I might be wrong, but at least in those countries I've been over last year, Discover acceptance is significantly worse than even of Amex, let alone Visa/MC. 

In Barcelona, Spain I was able to pay with my Discover only in a hotel and in a fancy restaurant - all other places welcomed Visa/MC, but not Discover/Amex.

In Russia I wasn't able to use my Discover even a single time and even in the locations where Diners cards are honored.

Re the discussed thread - I am in exactly the same situation. My 1st choice card is BofA Travel Rewards - I really like 0 FTF and chip and pin comes really handy, especially in Western European countries (UK, France etc). 1,5% cashback is not that much impressive, but I can live with it. My backup cards are Discover (but see my comments above...) and Crap1. 

CSP is most likely out of my league, so I have never seriosuly considered it or any other cards from the list aggregated by CreditScholar. Apart from that I don't like cards with AF as with my spending habits it will be pretty hard to justify literally any AF Smiley Happy

I would think that with your scores and credit limites, the CSP would be easy to get.  I didnt know the card was that selective since the annual fee is so low.

Message 15 of 24
HankNY
Valued Member

Also take a look At HSBC Credit card. It does not have ITF OR Annual fees

Message 16 of 24
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

The Best one is Bank of America travel rewards Visa Signature, has no annual fee, no FTF , has an EMV chip, and you get 1.5% cash back and a 100$ if you spend 500$ in first 3 months...

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 24
Appleseed987
New Visitor

Hello, I'm not sure if I should post a new thread or simply reply, but seeing as it has been two years since the last posting I assume things have changed a bit. 

I just moved to Germany and will be spending the next three years between Germany and France, with frequent travel around Europe and Asia. 

I spend about $15,000 per year. 

At the moment I am using US funds to pay for things, but eventually I will have a job (fingers crossed), where I will be paid in Euros. 

First things first, what I'm holding:

Debit Card through my local bank -   no FTF, no international service charge (aside from the 1% charged by Visa... I assume all cards have this, but please correct me if I'm wrong). 

Ameritrade Visa Debit - no FTF and refunds ATM charges domestically 

Schwab Mastercard Debit - same as Ameritrade but supposedly refunds ATM fees internationally, although I believe when you get to less developed countries they often consolidate the fees into the currency conversion so there is no way for the bank (ie. Schwab) to know what is what. They hand it over in dollars already converted... 

AMEX Blue -  3% FTF.....been using it forever, got my credit score to a happy place with it, have about 100k in points, but now realizing that the card is sort of garbage... and comments? The Blue cash seems much better of a deal. 

Okay, so my best move at the moment is to use my debit cards. I seem to get a pretty good rate of exchange with minimal fees. 

I like having cash, so perhaps the best move would be to move a chunk of money over via Wire transfer to a European checking account, and using a card they provide to pull out money. COMdirect has been recommended to be, a subdivision of commerz bank....OR, am I off-base here? Clearly you seasoned forumers of myFICO can teach me a couple things, so I'm happy to apply for a CC if the juice is worth the squeeze, but I'd like to avoid annual fees. 

Message 18 of 24
creditfan
Established Contributor

barclays arrival no AF version also has no FTF, as well as Merrill +

Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

barclays arrival no AF version also has no FTF, as well as Merrill +

Lots of cards (such as all Cap Ones) have no FTF.  

As with any "best", it depends on your goals.   One thing to note: while cards that give, e.g. dining rewards, will work anywhere, some popular grocery cards, such as Amex Blue Cash X and PRG only give rewards for US Supermarkets (and with the FTF, you probably shouldn't use them abroad).   I've used Penfed Platinum Rewards card, that gives 3 points (= ~ 2.5%), uncapped, at US and international supermarkets, and has no FTF, and supports chip&pin (but with signature priority).  At the time I looked, this was the best rate I found for groceries abroad.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.