cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card for living overseas?

tag
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

Re: Best credit card for living overseas?

@CreditScholar wrote:

6. BofA Travel Rewards (no annual fee, essentially a 1.5% cash back card with EMV)

Woah woah woah, hold up a sec. I had no idea this card was a 1.5% cashback card on all purchases. Why is everyone hyping up the Cap1 Quicksilver if this card does the same thing and has the 10% customer bonus that BofA does? Is it 1.5% only on purcahses in other countries, do the 1.5 points not translate to 1.5% cashback, or what is it that I'm missing here as to why this card isn't as popular as the Quicksilver? 

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 21 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

6. BofA Travel Rewards (no annual fee, essentially a 1.5% cash back card with EMV)

Woah woah woah, hold up a sec. I had no idea this card was a 1.5% cashback card on all purchases. Why is everyone hyping up the Cap1 Quicksilver if this card does the same thing and has the 10% customer bonus that BofA does? Is it 1.5% only on purcahses in other countries, do the 1.5 points not translate to 1.5% cashback, or what is it that I'm missing here as to why this card isn't as popular as the Quicksilver? 

To get that rate, you need to redeem against travel,  Quicksilver can be redeemed for cash

Message 22 of 24
maceto
Contributor

Charles Schwab's for checking, better rates on currency and wire transfers as they run this through their invest branch.. Call them- awesome! For cc I would go with merrill+ no fees and 1.5 if redeemed for travel, their travel insurance rocks in comparison to most others.
Chip and pin etc.
Message 23 of 24
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Delta Gold no longer charges an international transaction fee.  You can't combine the Sky Team miles with other companies miles.

Discover is used anywhere you see Union Pay in China and has no transaction fee.  If you use Shop DIscover to book at Hotels.com you earn an extra 5% cash back.

CapOne cards also have no transaction fees.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.