Did you mean: 

Best credit card for lounge access

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Best credit card for lounge access

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I avoid Delta because I am not a fan of their loyalty program at all, although I know many people are required to use them for business.

Delta... *shivers* I used to fly with delta for few years... but eventually I switch over to air canada, because delta's got some raggity {mod cut} planes (i've been on a newer plane only once) their stewardess are very "not friendly". oh and I love when air canada's stewardess says "eh?"

Yes, I haven't been terribly impressed with the american carriers. I feel like I am taking the bus when I board some of those old planes even more so with Delta than the others (maybe its just luck of the draw with the planes on my routes). I'm going to book a first class ticket on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and I am really excited about that flight as I hear good things. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 20
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Diner's Club has decent access in United States (better international coverage I think):  http://m.dinersclub.com/dcimobileweb/action/ProcessAirport

Amex Platinum of course for Delta, Airspace and Centurion Lounges, but with a hefty fee and the loss of AA/US access this year. 

.......or you could go my route:  AA Executive AAdvantage, Delta Platinum and Diner's  Smiley Tongue

United is intentionally off the list.

Why is United off the list? (Not disagreeing since I haven't been in any of the lounges to compare but hear the one in IAH is supposed to be one of the best in the country- would have been nice to have it last year when I had two layovers at IAH). I have the AA exec card and may take a long weekend trip before it renews just so I can use the dang lounge before the AF hits (wanted to see New Orleans anyway). I avoid Delta because I am not a fan of their loyalty program at all, although I know many people are required to use them for business. Diners is an interesting option that Iwould actually consider getting in the future if I have more than a few trips scheduled for the lounge access, due to the lower AF. In New York the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is supposed to be nice, but I don't see any scenario where I will be flying with them in the near future. 

United is a personal opinion thing for me, but I've never had a pleasant Club experience with them, their inflight service and catering is inconsistent and they run far too many Regional Jets out of my home airport (DTW).  It's not so much the aircraft itself, it's how they're handled in the hubs.  Their regional operations in the hubs are bar none the most unpleasant travel experience (next to flying Spirit).  I agree with Delta's loyalty program, but their Detroit hub arguably one of the best hub/facility/TSA experiences in the United States.  It'll all change when I move back to socal though Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Yes, I haven't been terribly impressed with the american carriers. I feel like I am taking the bus when I board some of those old planes even more so with Delta than the others (maybe its just luck of the draw with the planes on my routes). I'm going to book a first class ticket on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and I am really excited about that flight as I hear good things. 

Asian airlines are generally awesome when it comes to service, to get great service, you don't even need to book first class (i mean unless you want great seats or a bed), last time I flew to asia, I went with singapore airline, seats were fairly big for economy class, and service was top notch!

Message 13 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Asian airlines are generally awesome when it comes to service, to get great service, you don't even need to book first class (i mean unless you want great seats or a bed), last time I flew to asia, I went with singapore airline, seats were fairly big for economy class, and service was top notch!

Its a reward ticket and mainly I am doing it for the bed on such a long flight. Also, because I do not think these redemption levels will hold out and it may be my last chance to do so, since I would never pay out of pocket for first class due to the pricing. 

;
Message 14 of 20
carlosjgg
Contributor

@red259 wrote:

This is a spinoff of another thread that was focused specifically on United but got me thinking. For someone who would like to have airport lounge access which is the best credit card option out there. Assume both domestic and international travel. Also, assume a larger market for example NY (for people in smaller markets I realize there may be limited lounge options) with a larger selection of lounges. For the sake of argument also assume no loyalty to any one airline. . 

the diners club card has a lot of clubs around the world more than united, delta or american and the af is only 95 and no ftf  the amex plat is great too but the af is 450 but it has some other great travel perks,
Chase sp 5k c---------------------------Care credit 4500 cl
Chase mileageplus explorer 5k ---Citi diamond p 2k
Chase mileageplus club 15k ------ Discover it 1.5k
Amex ed 5k -----------------------------Lowe's 10k-----Dinersclub mc 5k
Amex gold npsl plus a 35k cl--------BestBuy 2.1k--Kay's 5k
Sam's mc 4.5k --------------------------Jared 6k
Message 15 of 20
carlosjgg
Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Diner's Club has decent access in United States (better international coverage I think):  http://m.dinersclub.com/dcimobileweb/action/ProcessAirport

Amex Platinum of course for Delta, Airspace and Centurion Lounges, but with a hefty fee and the loss of AA/US access this year. 

.......or you could go my route:  AA Executive AAdvantage, Delta Platinum and Diner's  Smiley Tongue

Why is United off the list? (Not disagreeing since I haven't been in any of the lounges to compare but hear the one in IAH is supposed to be one of the best in the country- would have been nice to have it last year when I had two layovers at IAH). I have the AA exec card and may take a long weekend trip before it renews just so I can use the dang lounge before the AF hits (wanted to see New Orleans anyway). I avoid Delta because I am not a fan of their loyalty program at all, although I know many people are required to use them for business. Diners is an interesting option that Iwould actually consider getting in the future if I have more than a few trips scheduled for the lounge access, due to the lower AF. In New York the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is supposed to be nice, but I don't see any scenario where I will be flying with them in the near future. 

you don't have to fly with then to use the lounge

Chase sp 5k c---------------------------Care credit 4500 cl
Chase mileageplus explorer 5k ---Citi diamond p 2k
Chase mileageplus club 15k ------ Discover it 1.5k
Amex ed 5k -----------------------------Lowe's 10k-----Dinersclub mc 5k
Amex gold npsl plus a 35k cl--------BestBuy 2.1k--Kay's 5k
Sam's mc 4.5k --------------------------Jared 6k
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you get United Access via Priority Pass on the Amex Platinum for free.  Based on what I see on the website.

Message 17 of 20
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you get United Access via Priority Pass on the Amex Platinum for free.  Based on what I see on the website.

Amex Plat USA gives you Priority Pass Select which excludes United lounge access.

Message 18 of 20
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Unless I am mistaken Delta got removed from the Platinum list.  

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@carlosjgg wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

you don't have to fly with then to use the lounge

Actually as far as I know you do in fact have to fly with them. You can't even get in with a regular economy ticket. You have to have gold status, select or first class. And when you have those then you can buy a day pass for like $75. I am unaware of a credit card that offers access to their lounge or at least its not mentioned on the airline website. I believe you can get a couple of comp passes per year depending on your loyalty status. Still that would require flights with them though. 

;
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.