cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit cards for gas and grocery?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Best credit cards for gas and grocery?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, there are a lot of choices for all-around spending. Somewtimes having multiple Bank of America Better Balance Rewards is best. Or multiple BBR for utility bills, plus  a Double Cash for misc spending.

non-category BBR-2.png

To be fair to bobisnotmyname, for those willing, some combination of 5% card when applicable and gift card elsewhere (purchased with the right card) is hard to beat for cashback, even with a lot of BBR, for those willing to do it.

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

To be fair to bobisnotmyname, for those willing, some combination of 5% card when applicable and gift card elsewhere (purchased with the right card) is hard to beat for cashback, even with a lot of BBR, for those willing to do it.

I'd be inclined to considered it if the gift cards could be easily refilled/purchased without visiting the store and if the balances are easily transferrable (although if you regularly shop at Target, Redbird + gift cards seem like a really attractive solution).

Message 22 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'd be inclined to considered it if the gift cards could be easily refilled/purchased without visiting the store and if the balances are easily transferrable (although if you regularly shop at Target, Redbird + gift cards seem like a really attractive solution).

problem there redbird is really limited to an few states, the two closes to me is western PA and Mass which are both at least 2-3 hour drive :-(

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm going to go for the Sallie Mae. I'm going to be in cheapskate mode for a while. Most of my spending should go towards gas and groceries. I don't have dependents so it's just me.

I'm trying to sell clothes and games. I need to stop buying junk I don't really need.

Message 24 of 28
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'm going to go for the Sallie Mae. I'm going to be in cheapskate mode for a while. Most of my spending should go towards gas and groceries. I don't have dependents so it's just me.

I'm trying to sell clothes and games. I need to stop buying junk I don't really need.

It's a nice card(s).  Depending on your spending, two are better than one.  

Also, I wonder if anyone has a similar plan or better than what I have found to be useful.  I use the SM groceries reward at Kroger, then get Kroger points for spending on groceries, then use the Kroger gas station for the SM bonus, plus normally, 10 cents off per gallon from the Kroger points. Nice

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 25 of 28
dabo1502
New Contributor

All, I'm in Houston, TX; which CB does Sally Mae pull?
EQ - 812 (CCT) 5/29/17 / EX- 819 (CCT) - 5/29/2017 / TU - 812 - 5/29(CCT) / Util - 2% / AA0A - 6 years, 8 months

Diners Club Prestige - $40K; Amex ED - $18K; Amex BCE - $5K; Chase CSP - $6K; Chase Freedom Unlimited- $8K; Chase IHG - $17K; Walmart MC - $7.6K; Discover - $12.9K; Merrick - $4850; Credit Care - $2.5K; Pay Pal - 5K; Macy's - $5.2K
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabo1502 wrote:
All, I'm in Houston, TX; which CB does Sally Mae pull?

Give ya a clue.

Starts with a T.

Ends with a N.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently applied for and got approved for the Sallie Mae card. It will be my go to gas/grocery card for now till I reach the spend limits. I don't always have a high grocery bill because I live by myself and eat out a lot and my gas bill is right around the 250 level each month. 

For purely groceries, the Amex Blue cash preferred is generally best if you have a high enough spend level to overcome the annual fee. For high gas users the Pen Fed Visa or the Fort Knox Credit Union Visa Platinum card as they both have 5% cash back for gas spends. 

Arguably the Chase Freedom is the best gas card for people with CSP or access to Chase Ultimate rewards during the months when the Freedom card gives 5% cash back for gas. But this only makes sense for people who have a qualifying chase ultimate rewards card. 

As others have stated, there is not a one size fit all solution. I plan on using my Sallie Mae card for groceries and gas for now, but I might change that in the future.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.