cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit cards to keep (long term)

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Best credit cards to keep (long term)

@Anonymous wrote:

Well after discovering this forum and determining how i want to maximize my card usage, the following is my "plan";

1. Amex BCP - for gas and groceries

2. Chase CSP - for travel and dining

3. Chase Freedom - 5% categories and UR

4. DIscover - 5% categories

5. Penfed Promise - for emergency use (0 cash advance, 0 balance xfer, low interest) and for travel 0 FTF and chip-PIN capability

Cards that are under utilized;

1. Barclaycard A+ - Nerfed and the grace period for old terms ends in August - probably getting the axe.

2. Cap One QS - Simply do not use.... if Chase Freedom changes to FU card by Chase down the road - probably getting the axe.

3. Penfed Cash Rwds - Thought i would use for gas - but proving to be a PITA - plan to move CL to Promise and axe.

I do not need a big total limit for utilization since i PIF. I tend to like to keep the number of accts low in order to manage them properly.

Obviously everyones answer will be different depending on how you spend your money and what rewards are valuable to you.

J/w, when/how was the Arrival+ nerfed? Smiley Surprised  I remembering reading earlier that Barclay had (temporarily?) stopped accepting new applications for Arrival+ and Ring, but I don't recall reading anywhere about the Arrival+ being nerfed, more info please?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arrival+ was nerfed last year ($25 minimum redemption was raised to $100, 10% bonus reduced to 5%, travel categories reduced, etc). I was grandfathered on the old terms til August 2016. This has nothing to do with the recent application shut down on the Barclay site.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Arrival+ was nerfed last year ($25 minimum redemption was raised to $100, 10% bonus reduced to 5%, travel categories reduced, etc). I was grandfathered on the old terms til August 2016. This has nothing to do with the recent application shut down on the Barclay site.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for providing the helpful info there plaidington, I deeply appreciate it!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.