Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit cards with high limits?

tag
armichic

Re: Best credit cards with high limits?

@Mariott wrote:

I have a perfect credit history ( no delinquencies )

I'm waiting for some of my inquiries to have their 2 year anniversary, as well as some will be reaching their 1 year anniversary.

I will be checking my 3 FICO's once that happens. If it turns out I have excellent scores across the board or at least 700-720+ for all 3 scores.

What card is the best for high limits? I was considering Marriott rewards premier, discover one and visa black card.

I know the fee for the visa barclays back card is about 500. but I will be spending over 20k a year, so with 1% back for cash back. I would be spending about $300 maximum. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

My 2 top favorites for rewards are the Marriott and Capital One Venture Cards. You say you don't travel much but the points never expire. I have only had my card for 6 months but I earned the 20,000 bonus rewards points for enrolling plus additional 2 free nights plus earned rewards based on a dollar-for-dollar match on every purchase made plus 2 point match on every Marriott stay plus the bonus points earned when Marriott ran specials during my stay for additional points, I have already stayed at a Florida beachfront for a week for free, a DC area premier (cat 4) for 3 nights and still have 45,000 points left. Average night stay can be as low as 10000 points depending on season and destination..So consider that. They opened me at a score of 762 with a 20K CL but my income is 84000+ 12k rental income..Drawback is there is an annual fee of $49/99 depending on which card you apply for but it is waived the first year...

The other one I like is Capital One Venture because the rewards accumulate as soon as transactions post and can be used for anything travel, gift cards, statement credits. They gave me a 10k CL but again that is probably largely based on my income although my score is excellent as well...

Message 21 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

What do you spend on mostly? (Sorry if I missed that). With your income, and limited credit history, it is highly unlikely any national bank will start you off with a high limit. If all you need is a high CL, then go with a credit union. However, I would recommend you follow relevate's suggestion. That's probably the best way to do things for now.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 29
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If eligible, NFCU. They're known for giving generous starting limits to folks with thin files.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 29
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:

What card is the best for high limits?

As indicated in prior replies, it's not just a matter of the card(s) but your credit and income as well.

@Mario4 wrote:

I know the fee for the visa barclays back card is about 500. but I will be speindiing over 20k a year, so with 1% back for cash back. I would be spending about $300 maximum. 

I'd also +1 the suggestions to look at your spend and maximize rewards.  You can do much better than 1% across the board and not only spend less than $300 max but make some back.  However, you really haven't provided your major spend categories.

Message 24 of 29
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:

I have a perfec credit history ( no delinquencies )

I'm waiting for some of my inquiries to have their 2 year anniversary, as well as some will be reaching thier 1 year anniversary.

I will be checking my 3 FICO's once that happens. If it turns out I have excellent scores across the board or at least 700-720+ for all 3 scores.

What card is the best for high limits? I was considering mariiot rewards premier, discover one and visa black card.

I know the fee for the visa barclays back card is about 500. but I will be speindiing over 20k a year, so with 1% back for cash back. I would be spending about $300 maximum. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Based on what you want in CCs and what you applying for, I'm not quite following why you want the Visa Black Card or the Marriot Gold if you just want cashback cards. But to answer your question, these cards to give nice limits at times: AMEX BCE (rewards are nice with this card), OCCU and DUCK card (this is a legendary card on here that can be rewards or not), Chase Freedom (many ppl have had alot of luck with high limits and high rewards up to 5% in rotating categories), and the top on my list Navy Federal Credit Union (pretty much the highest limits I've seen on here). DCU also but I hear they're changing now and although Discover gives nice 5% CB towards the rotating rewards, they're not known to give out nice limits. in fact, some ppl will tell the that Discover is known for the quite opposite (I've been lucky with Discover though)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 25 of 29
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Mario4 wrote:

Dont care too much about travel. I never go anywhere. cash back is best option. I considered marriot because it offers free stay every year. 

Don't bother with the marriot card if your going to be putting spend on the card and want cash back. I would not focus on which cards give high limits, since its more important which cards will give you the best rewards for your lifestyle. Most solid lenders will give high credit limits to people who are qualified for them. In general credit unions will give higher credit limits. Amex can give high credit limits over time with SP CLIs, Chase will give out high credit lines to people with established history. The chase co-branded cards usually have higher credit lines. For straight cash back I think cards like freedom, fidelity amex, discover it are the way to go. Amex BCP is a nice cash back card on grocery spend. 

+1 This needs to be the bigger focus OP

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 26 of 29
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:

We are going to need more information from you as well, some of the things that might help, 

Income (easier to get higher lines with higher income)

Current Card limits (similiar to above, having higher limits now seems to help)

Length of credit history (perfect history for 2 years and 20 years is a huge difference)

--------------

Income - Measly 23,040 since I closed my business

My cards: Capital One/750, Walmart/1,000, first primier (bad choice) 700, amazon 1,600, bank of america (secured) 300, home depot/500, best buy/1200. 

Bank of america is over 1 year.. everything else is under 1 year. Terrible I know. No missed payments or anything bad at all. 

Considering that you have most cards under a year, it's very hard to obtain large amounts of credit with even generous banking institutions and financial centers. Also, you have CCs whose limits are all under 1500 from prime lenders (BofA) in which lenders frown on big time. And having an subprime lender and a secured CC on your profile would put you in the more risky section. You have to let your credit grow for another year or so and unsecure that BofA (call the backdoor door for Secured Cards for BofA) and plea (recon) your case. Then while doing that, I would try to close that First Premier as soon as you can. Until then, I recommend not applying for credit as lenders will continue to give you low limits (even with your credit score being above 720)

Message 27 of 29

Impressive

Starting Score: EQ:633 06/2013 (FICO) TU 655 6/2013 (FICO)

Goal Score: EQ:710 06/2014 (FICO) TU 745 06/2014 (FICO)
Message 28 of 29
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@RUNBABYRUN2013 wrote:

Impressive

I was just thinking how impressive it was to pull up an old thread to comment how impressive it was. 

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.