Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best friend approved for CHASE CSR in branch, then CLOSED

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Best friend approved for CHASE CSR in branch, then CLOSED

@Anonymous wrote:

No but you brought into the discussion. So in your opinion, someone who defaults and has bad credit has a right to more credit? You seem to have a sense of entitlement. 

Maybe you took me literally, yes everyone has a right to credit, but GOOD credit is a privledge bad credit is easy. Is that better.

Regardless, the government will never tell a lender how they have to lend their money.

Crying about a denial and filling a CFPB complaint over being denied for 5/24 is rediculous especially when you know about the rule before you apply.

Agreed credit is a privilege not a right just like your drivers license. If it ain't in the constitution it's not a right it's a privilege granted to you. 

Message 51 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree credit is a priviledge and not a right.  But in @Gdale's defense, I think what he meant when he thought / is thinking about filing a CFPB complaint is that, the 5/24 should be "officially disclosed".

No where on the Chase site / literature does it states this particular rule.  Lets take the case for example of an average consumer who does not frequent this board.  Shouldn't they know about this particlar rule before applying?.

So just like how on all Chase applications it asks " Have you filed for BK and what not", they should also include this as a question on the application. [Full disclosure].  That way, anyone applying knows that if they have applied for 97 accounts in the last two years, their application will likely be denied.

Message 52 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No but you brought into the discussion. So in your opinion, someone who defaults and has bad credit has a right to more credit? You seem to have a sense of entitlement. 

Maybe you took me literally, yes everyone has a right to credit, but GOOD credit is a privledge bad credit is easy. Is that better.

Regardless, the government will never tell a lender how they have to lend their money.

Crying about a denial and filling a CFPB complaint over being denied for 5/24 is rediculous especially when you know about the rule before you apply.

Agreed credit is a privilege not a right just like your drivers license. If it ain't in the constitution it's not a right it's a privilege granted to you. 

It's also not a right for credit agencies to scam you, which is pretty much what the whole credit game seems like today. 

Credit reports and scores should be free because I'm using them to apply for credit which effects my lifestyle and I should be able to know my personal information without having to pay for it. If I want to go to college, I need credit to take out a student loan. If I want a place to live, I need decent credit or else the landlord or bank probably won't extend me that courtesy. So while credit isn't a right per se, I do expect a right to a place to live and an education, both which require credit to qualify for. 

Message 53 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's also not a right for credit agencies to scam you, which is pretty much what the whole credit game seems like today. 

Credit reports and scores should be free because I'm using them to apply for credit which effects my lifestyle and I should be able to know my personal information without having to pay for it. If I want to go to college, I need credit to take out a student loan. If I want a place to live, I need decent credit or else the landlord or bank probably won't extend me that courtesy. So while credit isn't a right per se, I do expect a right to a place to live and an education, both which require credit to qualify for. 

But shouldn't that decision of whether you can afford that particular lifestyle, the $50,000 car  etc. be determined by your ability to pay back?.  The credit agencies were created to be an agency based on meritocracy.

Thus, to be able to get that $60,000 line on a credit card instantly approved, to be able to get live in that luxury apartment, to be able to drive that Tesla etc.. your bility to be able to pay it back has to be determined.

Credit agencies are not a scam.  They are there for a reason. But you are entitled to your opinion of course...

Message 54 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that your friend was "punished" for asking for a higher limit.
On the approval email, there was verbage under the amount approved that said something along the lines of, "Want a different credit line? Let us know."
Unfortunate that he took them up on their offer and it led to them poking around too much.
Message 55 of 78
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Message 56 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But shouldn't that decision of whether you can afford that particular lifestyle, the $50,000 car  etc. be determined by your ability to pay back?.  The credit agencies were created to be an agency based on meritocracy.

Thus, to be able to get that $60,000 line on a credit card instantly approved, to be able to get live in that luxury apartment, to be able to drive that Tesla etc.. your bility to be able to pay it back has to be determined.

Credit agencies are not a scam.  They are there for a reason. But you are entitled to your opinion of course...

But if you have to pay to get your own information, that is the part that lisn't morally correct.

I'm not asking to have a luxury car, or a credit line 3x my yearly salary... That is definitely a privilege.  

I should, however, have a right to a mortgage, lease agreement, or education.  I can be denied credit for any of those three things based off of my credit score, even if I've paid every bill on time for the last six years. 

I also agree that your ability to pay back should be factored in to having a right to have nice posessions and to get credit extended to you, unfortunately though, there's more to credit than just on time payment history. I agree that those who do not pay their bill don't deserve favorable terms and don't deserve luxury credit, but should still be able to get necessity credit. In my apartment example, if someone doesn't pay, you can kick them out. No need to overanalyze a credit report to look at things that don't need to be looked at. 

Message 57 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joeyzoom416 wrote:And congrats to all those approved -- gorgeous card!

Not at all. Even the Amex Platinum is more striking, though this card could have made up for the meh aesthetics with an all metal body like the Ritz. But reckon they're saving it for the JP Morgan Reserve which only requires tens of millions of dollars with JPM.

Message 58 of 78
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But if you have to pay to get your own information, that is the part that lisn't morally correct.

I'm not asking to have a luxury car, or a credit line 3x my yearly salary... That is definitely a privilege.  

I should, however, have a right to a mortgage, lease agreement, or education.  I can be denied credit for any of those three things based off of my credit score, even if I've paid every bill on time for the last six years. 

I also agree that your ability to pay back should be factored in to having a right to have nice posessions and to get credit extended to you, unfortunately though, there's more to credit than just on time payment history. I agree that those who do not pay their bill don't deserve favorable terms and don't deserve luxury credit, but should still be able to get necessity credit. In my apartment example, if someone doesn't pay, you can kick them out. No need to overanalyze a credit report to look at things that don't need to be looked at. 

No you don't have to pay for anything. You choose to. Many credit cards give free FICO scores. Every year one is entitled to one free annual report from each bureau. No one should have a right to a mortgage or lease agreement, if that person hasn't shown that they're trustworthy enough. I understand the idea of what you're saying, however.

Message 59 of 78
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No you don't have to pay for anything. You choose to. Many credit cards give free FICO scores. Every year one is entitled to one free annual report from each bureau. No one should have a right to a mortgage or lease agreement, if that person hasn't shown that they're trustworthy enough. I understand the idea of what you're saying, however.

Good points, Plus you have sources like credit karma and credit.com, scores are garbage but the info is real and the best part, free!!!, there's plenty of ways to get around paying these days. 

Message 60 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.