Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best gas card or program.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best gas card or program.

So I'm sure there is a post out there about this. Though what would be the best gas related card to go for? I have a wide mix of stations around from shell, no, marathon and even the occasional Costco.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Best gas card or program.

@Anonymouswrote:
So I'm sure there is a post out there about this. Though what would be the best gas related card to go for? I have a wide mix of stations around from shell, no, marathon and even the occasional Costco.

What is your annual gas spend?

How convenient is Costco for you? Would you have a membership, anyway? Do you object to lines?

For me, Costco gas is convenient and far cheaper than alternatives. I get good rewards and it's also convenient to pay and identify myself in one swipe with my Citi Costco Visa. My gas spend is much less than the $7k cap for earning 4%.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

For me, I use my PenFed Signature Rewards Visa - I almost always buy my gas at Costco, since it's 2 minutes from my house, and currently 22¢ cheaper than almost anywhere within 5 miles. I have only waited in line once there, and that was right before a hurricane.. The 4.3% or so rewards works nicely, and I don't have to wait until next year to get my rewards, unlike the Costco Visa
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There's been a recent thread about this actually. Here's the link.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Best-Gas-card-other-than-NRA/td-p/5160489
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Know theres others with 5%, but I still vouch for the costco one being great if its convenient for you. Also tend to use my Amex sometimes just for convenience of lumping my expenses together there.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd actually recommend checking out the Nusenda CU Platinum Cash Rewards, it's a rotating category 5% card, but it's actually effectively 6%, and the rewards schedule is the same every year. It changes every quarter, but q1 is the same every year, etc. Q1 and q3 have gas, and there are other useful categories too. If you get that and the Vantage West Connect Rewards, which gets 3% back on gas, you'll like that you can also pick a 5% category from a list with that card, including unique categories like utilities, charity, and Amazon, etc. With the combo of these 2 cards, you would only be "losing" about $12 a year on gas by not having a 5% card like the NRA card, if you average $100/month on gas, as you would only need it for when the Vantage West card would otherwise be used for gas, giving you 5% instead of 3% for 6 months. but you get access to far more 5% categories. Also if you have the freedom or it it'll likely be even less as there's a decent chance that one of them will get gas as well...although this year they both have it in q1 which of course the nusenda has it that quarter already so maybe not this year lol.

I also recommend getting top tier gas, from what I've read it's better for the longevity of your vehicle. Also ensure that whatever station you frequent uses the same additives in their premium fuel as their standard that way you know the standard is top tier as well. Check gas buddy to find which stations are consistently cheapest in your area, and cross reference that with Google to see which stations offer top tier gas. Around me, QuikTrip is consistently the cheapest top tier provider and they do offer it in all of their gas not just premium.
Message 6 of 7
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@fltireguywrote:
For me, I use my PenFed Signature Rewards Visa 

Do you mean the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa?  PenFed has more than one Visa Signature rewards card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.