Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best method to keep cards active?

kdm... shush. lol Smiley Wink
Message 31 of 42
dwz55
Regular Contributor

Im waiting on some banks to close some of my useless cards due to non activity, its been 5 years and I'm still waiting.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 32 of 42
fot1
Established Contributor

I have also purchased some photo prints from Walmart.. Pretty cheap and easy

Too many to list..
Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

dwz55 many banks don't auto close accounts. you have to request
Message 34 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@dwz55 wrote:

Im waiting on some banks to close some of my useless cards due to non activity, its been 5 years and I'm still waiting.

You have pretty high Fico's.. Although you aren't using some of your cards banks probably prefer to have you as a customer vs. some people like um meSmiley Happy

Message 35 of 42
dwz55
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I was just saying I plan to let those accounts close themselves and its been 5 years since they've had activity so the whole keeping them active is overblown. My wife had her account closed by Barclays after 7years of no activity, so there's no need to stress over using them every couple of months in my eyes at least, but I do understand why people worry if they are rebuilding or have a few negatives.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 36 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

only store cards close quickly and it's usually 24 months
Message 37 of 42
Country_Feller
Valued Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

Netflix and red box keep all mine active..lol I keep my cards in order in the safe.. once i use a card to pay for one of these I put them in the back of the line and next time grab card in front.. Every card gets used in about 2-3 months

X2

myFICO=EQ 702, TU 716, EX 743br>EQ=11//TU=15//EX=11/Util 14%. Gardening since 01/02/2017.

Message 38 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@dwz55 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I was just saying I plan to let those accounts close themselves and its been 5 years since they've had activity so the whole keeping them active is overblown. My wife had her account closed by Barclays after 7years of no activity, so there's no need to stress over using them every couple of months in my eyes at least, but I do understand why people worry if they are rebuilding or have a few negatives.

It's just totally YMMV. Most banks have an "official" policy on inactivity somewhere in terms and conditions. Many Barclay cards officially state that 6-12 months of nonuse is enough for closure. However, that doesn't mean 100% of the time, your account will actually be closed. But since closing is usually irreversible, it pays to be cautious.

As an aside, if you've been waiting 5 years, I'd probably just go ahead and close those accounts vs waiting any longer.

Message 39 of 42
baller4life
Super Contributor

CC the Amazon trick is tried and true. Just buy yourself a gift card every 3 to 6 to keep your sd cards active. 😉
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.