Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best methods to increase credit score?

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Best methods to increase credit score?

Hi. I'm new here and recently got a Discover credit card. I'm confused about a few things. I have used ~$100 of my $1000 CL. I want to make sure the credit card companies (the big three) see that I have utilized my credit card. That's why I don't pay if off immediately and I wait until my due date, which is the first of every month. Is it a wise strategy to pay it right on the due date, before the due date, or a little after the due date..? Thanks a lot and happy thanksgiving!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Best methods to increase credit score?

If you want to make sure that it reports a balance, I'd pay it whenever you get the email that says "You have a statement available" or after. As long as there was a balance on the statement, it'll report that to the CRAs, and it'll show that you use it. Other than that, it doesn't matter when you pay (as long as it's before the due date).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 23
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forums!!!

From what I have read several times, it's best to pay down your balance before the statrment cuts, and to have ideally less than 9% to report.

Example... I have a card with a $1k limit... I use thru the month, and may rack up $600 on it, but a week-week and a half before the statement cuts, I pay it down to 2%. I'm rebuilding, so I keep my reported util lower.

You will have the experts chime in here though soon, and will tell more....Smiley Happy you have come to the right place ! Good luck to you
Message 3 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. If your goal is to show util, then you should pay your bill after the statement cuts. To avoid paying interest in the reported balance, pay the balance before the due date.

If you are concerned about maximum FICO scoring, then have your reported balance be less than 10%. If you have more than one rev cc, then only have one cc report a balance.
Message 4 of 23
MMB85
Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

Hi. I'm new here and recently got a Discover credit card. I'm confused about a few things. I have used ~$100 of my $1000 CL. I want to make sure the credit card companies (the big three) see that I have utilized my credit card. That's why I don't pay if off immediately and I wait until my due date, which is the first of every month. Is it a wise strategy to pay it right on the due date, before the due date, or a little after the due date..? Thanks a lot and happy thanksgiving!!

That is one of the BIGGEST myths. Credit card companies look at your daily transactions, and the amount in total that you have spent over a period of time, not the balance on the account when the cycle ends. I was talking to a Discover person the other day and I asked him similar questions and he said that is not how it is handled. They see that you have utilized your card by the daily transactions, not the balance sitting on your card. I pay my card in complete full once a week, sometimes even more frequent. I pay the balance off before it even shows up as due. And I asked the guy if that is bad or makes a difference between letting it show up as due, and he said there is no difference at all and that they don't look at it as a macro standpoint, they look at it as a micro standpoint and follow your day to day transactions. 

Either way, whether it is a day after you made an transaction or a day before the cycle ends, you should pay your card in complete full. Having a balance carry over does nothing for you. 0% utilization on a card you use very frequently is what you should be aiming for. That improves your credit and also greatly improves your chances of that company giving you a very large credit increase. 

Message 5 of 23
cjc343
Valued Member

While they certainly pay a lot of attention to your daily transactions on their card, that doesn't mean they report the total of them as your utilization.

Message 6 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@MMB85

It's true lender A would know the daily transactions for their card but lender B would not have any idea about lender A's daily transactions. High balances and recent balances are listed on the CRs ...not daily balances.
Message 7 of 23
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

+1. Op is talking about an overall credit picture as seen by all current and possible future lenders, who do not see the daily transactions on a Discover card, they see the reported statement balance.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Not exactly true, depending on report that is used, EX for example reports Balance, payment, and date of payment, other lenders can see your usage even if no balance is left on the card, below is from an old EX report I pulled last year.

amount_paid.png

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 23
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Not exactly true, depending on report that is used, EX for example reports Balance, payment, and date of payment, other lenders can see your usage even if no balance is left on the card,]

OK, but the point of this thread was to give advice on how to show usage for the purpose of credit scoring in order to be in a better position with lenders to apply for future tradelines.  Stating that it doesn't matter, since some reports show previous payment amounts, is not a helpful response.  Having a small amount of usage report on the statement does matter, it has been proven to increase the FICO (as opposed to having all accounts at $0 balance), and most lenders are going to partly be basing their decision to extend credit on the score that they pull.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.