cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best methods to increase credit score?

tag
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best methods to increase credit score?

I don't know if credit card company B or credit card company C would consider it a plus that you are showing use with credit card company A. If anything, B and C may well want you to switch from A to B and C! As for your score, FICO likes it best with the least debt on the fewest cards short of $0 and 0.

Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jamesdwi

Yes, EX shows balance history- which is what I was referring to by highest balance reported.
Message 12 of 23
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Ok. So I found out that my statement opens/closes on the 4th of every month and my due date is the 29th of each month. If I want to show Discover and the CRA that I have utilization, when should I pay my bill and how much? I have used approximately $100 credit of my 1000 CL. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and information!!

Message 13 of 23
benandjerry
Regular Contributor

If it's your only card and want to generate a good score, you should make sure the balance on the 4th is $90 or less (=<9% of your $1000 CL).

Then any time between the 5th and 29th, pay off the full balance. I would just pay it soon after the 5th, but definitely not too close to the 29th, as you want to make sure your payment is received before the due date. Pay in full if you want to avoid paying interest. If you cannot pay in full, try to pay at least a little more than the minumum amount due, as apparently only paying minimums tends to make credit card companies nervous.

$1250                $4000              $15,000            $11,000         $1000(secured)      CLOSED!                  $5000        2.65%:
Starting Score: 0 (03/01/13) &Current Score: TU FICO 791 CK755 CS747 QZ747 &Goal Score: 750 new goal:800 garden since 03/21/14
Message 14 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Somebody explained it here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 15 of 23
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Paying your bills in full and on time is the best and most effective method to increase overall credit score. If you're not applying for additional credit say like another credit card or auto loan, I would not worry about UTL percentage so much.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 16 of 23
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Thanks again everyone!! You guys are all so helpful!

Also, do you guys think it's strategic to have utilization close to 9% then utilize it less and less as time goes on? Or should I keep my utilization relatively similar each month? Or does it really not matter as long as it's within the 1%-9% range?

Message 17 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

Thanks again everyone!! You guys are all so helpful!

Also, do you guys think it's strategic to have utilization close to 9% then utilize it less and less as time goes on? Or should I keep my utilization relatively similar each month? Or does it really not matter as long as it's within the 1%-9% range?

Seriously, read the link I posted above.

You're over thinking it. And what is correct procedure when you are about to apply for more credit (new credit card, or credit limit increase, or a loan, etc) is different from what you should normally be doing.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 18 of 23
megaman1
Regular Contributor

So let's say my statement ends on the 4th of every month. I would then be in grace period until my due date. What if I paid off my entire balance before my due date, and I start using my card again? Would it be counted as this current cycle's balance or the balance for the next cycle..?

Message 19 of 23
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

The balance on your statement is whatever the current balance on your card is when the statement cuts (in your case, on the 4th). If your statement comes out and says you owe $100 dollars and you keep using the card and then pay $100 dollars on the due date, then whatever unbilled balance from your transactions between the time you got the bill on the statement and the time when you paid the bill will be included on the next statement's balance owed. Plus any transactions between the time you paid the bill and when your statement cuts. What some people do, when trying to play the numbers, is to watch the current balance for your card online at the bank's website (this is much more up-to-date than the bill from the last statement which doesn't show recent transactions). Pay the entire current balance (or leave whatever small amount you decide to show usage on one card) by the due date and then stop using the card until the statement cuts.

EDIT: I just re-read your question and am not sure if my answer is what you were looking for. If you are asking about saving interest while in the grace period, it doesn't matter if you pay for transactions from the last bill right after the statement cuts or wait until the day they are due. If you are paying in full, you are always in the grace period so you don't get charged interest, no matter when you pay, as long as its paid by the due date listed on the statement.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.