Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best miles rewards card?

tag
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

Best miles rewards card?

Hey everyone. Looking for so,e objective opinions on this. I'd expect to fly at least about 5 times a year or so possible more.

I'd be looking to open a new card possibly or talk to Amex about switching my current card or chase about switching my freedom card.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Best miles rewards card?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Information-to-think-about-when-deciding-which-cards-to...

Need more information in order to make appropriate suggestions. Take a look at the questions. The more info you can provide (especially about loyalty programs or maybe particular hubs you fly from) the easier it will be to make recommendations. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 22
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

I'd likely fly between San Francisco and Chicago most often but to NY and Miami occasionally.

I likely won't need hotels when going to these places. And if I percent a car it's likely with enterprise or hertz.

Otherwise I'm not a part of any loyolaty programs or favor any particular airline.

,y credit is in very good shape at 730
Message 3 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're looking for domestic coach travel, just get a 2% cash back card or something like it.   Fidelity Amex, Travelocity Amex, Barclay Arrival, something like that.

if you want to participate in FF programs for more premium travle, and you only want one card, Chase Sapphire Preferred.  If you want to leverage multiple programs, take advantage of sign up bonuses, etc., don't settle for one card.  Start reading boardingarea.com blogs, flyertalk, thepointsguy.com, millionmilesecrets.com, etc.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Since you don't need a hotel card and aren't interested in a FF or loyalty program -Barclays Arrival. Although if you are planning to rent cars and fly you might want some sort of loyalty program.
Message 5 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I will offer an obscure solution that other's might not.

Amex PRG

Transfer to BA during a bonus transfer time, then book with AA through BA.

SFO to ORD 10K Avios each way.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 22
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@mekmek86 wrote:
I'd likely fly between San Francisco and Chicago most often but to NY and Miami occasionally.

I likely won't need hotels when going to these places. And if I percent a car it's likely with enterprise or hertz.

Otherwise I'm not a part of any loyolaty programs or favor any particular airline.

,y credit is in very good shape at 730

Mostly SFO and Chi-Town (ORD)? That is UA heaven! Two UA hubs no doubt. NYC is mainy a UA hub as well (mainly EWR, and LGA has a good presence), but MIA is an AA hub. Theres no doubt you should earn miles on UA and earn UA points on the Chase Sapphire Preferred with Freedom combo, mixed with the UA Explorer for free bags & other perks (if you want to splurge).

Flying both UA and earning on CCs will give you an agglomeration of miles in a second!

I'm Gold on UA this year, maybe will hit Platinum by Dec. Your routes are begging u to choose UA and their credit cards!

ETA: Dustink's example is great as well from purely a points-only perspective. Avios (what they call their points) for short hauls are great for only 10K pts for SFO to ORD routes! UA will cost 12.5K. However SFO to NYC and SFO to MIA will cost 12.5K Avios pts just like UA. As for the Avios transfer bonuses, you'll be on their schedule when they throw those bonuses (which is a caveat for me). 

In addition, reason I don't suggest the PRG is because you can't "double dip" on points by both flying on UA and earning miles with UA card(s) (CSP/Freedom/Explorer, etc).

Now if you were to fly mainly AA, the PRG would be a great card as per Dustink's example. The Amex SPG card might be great as well since you can earn AA miles at a 1.25x rate on every purchase!

But, your routes tell you UA will be the cheapest anyway, and Avios are only good on American Airlines which you won't really be flying unless you're going to Miami a lot.

If you go with the PRG, you'll have a chunk of UA miles from flying, and a chunk on Avios points from CCs (PRG), which will take longer to redeem. (also depends on how much you plan to spend on your CCs of course). Why not just consolidate to one program if you're choosing a miles card.

Message 7 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think earning 3x points with the PRG plus the frequent BA transfer bonus is a good value. Then, those points are worth a lot; 10k each way. Creates an even better value. The card also has the 2x categories as well.

The united card only offers 2x points on United flights and 1 point elsewhere. The PRG will offer 3x on all flights (4x if booked through amex plus xfer bonus) + 2x in some categories and 1 in all others.

But...

As another poster pointed out. You really need a mix of cards. Just load up on sign up bonus offers.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 22
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I think earning 3x points with the PRG plus the frequent BA transfer bonus is a good value. Then, those points are worth a lot; 10k each way. Creates an even better value. The card also has the 2x categories as well.

The united card only offers 2x points on United flights and 1 point elsewhere. The PRG will offer 3x on all flights (4x if booked through amex plus xfer bonus) + 2x in some categories and 1 in all others.

But...

As another poster pointed out. You really need a mix of cards. Just load up on sign up bonus offers.

The 3x points with the PRG and transfer bonuses are great too. But the CSP and Freedom has 2x (4x on UR site) on travel and dining and 5x on rotating categories, respectively. If OP can get his hand on the Ink (No AF), that's 2x on gas and 5x on TV, internet, cable, and office supplies, leaving almost no room for 1x purchases Smiley Wink

So here's the breakdown:

PRG ($175 AF):

4x on flights (booked on amex site)

2x on groceries

2x on gas

-transfer bonuses

CSP/Freedom/Ink Combo ($95 AF total):

4.28x on flights (booked thru travelocity on UR)

2.14x on all travel (rental cars - OP will rent cars, hotel, taxis, trains, cruises, even tolls!)

2.14x on dining

5x on rotating categories

2x on gas

5x on office supplies / Internet bills /Cable bills / Cellphone bills

-OP will fly UA, more potential to earn UA miles this way.

It's really up to the OP how he wants to see it. I like to double dip on earning miles (in the same program) through both flying and CC spend.

Churning is a different story, if he has the profile to do so, get as many cards as possible for sign up bonuses. But for long term mile earning cards, OP should stick to a program if he doesn't want to dilute his points across multiple programs.

ETA: I added the 7% dividend bonus points to the CSP multiplier... 4.28x on airfare, 2.14x on dining, and 2.14x on traveling.

Message 9 of 22
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Thats the combo I am probably going to get just picked up the CSP. On topic, I would do the CSP/Freedom/Ink but obvisouly I am biased because thats what I want/suits my needs. I also like AMEX cards though as well.  Yet with the UR you can transfer points to Southwest Rapid Rewards for those short and cheap domestic flights. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.