cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best non chase slate Balanace Transfer for about 9K?

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Best non chase slate Balanace Transfer for about 9K?

Hey all so as the title says, I made a recent purchase of about 9K on a cap1 venture to get points but want to move the debt to a 12-18 month 0% apr BT card.  I've accepted i will need to pay a 3% fee probably so that's fine.

I've looked at simplicity and discover IT, and have a BCE, but the main kicker is I need a card that'll give me a pretty high SL or at least let me recon on opening.

A 10K card will make me look maxed out so I think I need at least 15-25K on the card, to let my score remain good.  I dont see a lot of citi cards come in at that, and I hear they are nix on recon at account open.  Discover IT (from another site) has credit limits all over the place.  Most are 5K or less but some are like 30-40K?  So confusing.

Does anyone know a card (even one I haven't thought of) that's known to give good SL or CLI recon upon opening?

I have 7 inq on TU and 10 on ex and eq.  Scores are 720~+ depending on what model you use.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Best non chase slate Balanace Transfer for about 9K?

ymmv, of course, but when DW opened a Simplicity, she started with a 9k CL.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

Does anyone know a card (even one I haven't thought of) that's known to give good SL or CLI recon upon opening? 

You cannot rely solely on the card.  Your profile and income will determine the limit that you qualify for.  If you're carrying revolving debt and have high revolving utilization (not enough info in your OP to verify) then that will have an impact on the limits that you would qualify for.

@mccallb wrote:

I have 7 inq on TU and 10 on ex and eq.  Scores are 720~+ depending on what model you use.

Depsite the tendency to fixate over them inquiries are typically a small factor.  Don't obsess over them and overlook everything else.  Your entire credit profile matters.

@mccallb wrote:

Discover IT (from another site) has credit limits all over the place.  Most are 5K or less but some are like 30-40K?  So confusing. 

Of course.  Everyone's credit and income are not identical.  Even with FICO 8's just under 800 my Discover it started out with only a $5K limit even though I had a number of cards with significantly higher limits and that was because of new accounts on my reports.  As the impact of those diminshed the limit on my it has grown to match my other high limit cards.

Do not rely solely on the card for limit.  You need to assess your own report data.  It's never just about score itself but your entire credit profile.  Score is just one of a creditor's consdierations.

Message 3 of 12
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Yeah of course I realize income etc comes into factor. I have cards that are 16-25K already so this wouldn't be anywhere near my largest card.  Some providers are known to be generous with SLs, like Venture for example.

Also I am not fixated on my inquiries, just mentioning them.  Chase is actually pretty strict on such things and I have already blown past the 5/24 rule with them which is why I mentioned no slate.

I don't know what more of my credit profile you'd like me to post besides scores and inquiries, all of my limits are in my sig and my income is pretty substantial.

Also... The reason I mentioned Discover IT's card limits being all over is not, gee why do people have different limits, its because a lot of cards are 8K or less, and some are 30K and over, virtually nothingin between.  Like one at 12K but nothing else from 12-30K, which is a huge margin, and bizarre, statistically speaking.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed seems to be the favorite here in term of giving high CL and being recon friendly.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the plain BofA card that advertises 18 months online, but I had a 21 month mailer. I got $11k, which is middle of the road for my limits. My scores are a bit better, my util is a bit better, but I do have a few cards at around 50% (0%). Unfortunately, their prequal is worthless, so you'd be winging it. They pulled EX for me in CA but I've heard others other places (ck credit pulls database). 

DH got $15k SL with Discover last year which matched his highest at the time, but again he was getting a prequal a week in the mail. I think his scores were probably around yours, but I think his util was better. They pulled EX. 

Message 6 of 12
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Message 7 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

FNBO has sent me several letters recently offering 4.99% for the life of the loan with no transfer fee.
I'd also look at some of the credit unions out there. Generally their BT offers are solid with no transfer fee's and low rates that don't expire.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
FNBO has sent me several letters recently offering 4.99% for the life of the loan with no transfer fee.
I'd also look at some of the credit unions out there. Generally their BT offers are solid with no transfer fee's and low rates that don't expire.

I think I got one of those recently, but it also came with an annual fee which made up for some of the low-ness. 

Message 9 of 12
boober
Frequent Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

ymmv, of course, but when DW opened a Simplicity, she started with a 9k CL.

I'd second this. I apped for the Simp card in January. My initial limit was I think only 4k or so? Which caught me off gaurd as I applied for it specifically in the hopes of getting a high SL for doing BT's as well. 

I'm sorry I don't recall preciesly what I did, but I think I just tried using the luv button in my account right after I got the card activated and my account set up online, and I got bumped up to 18k! Smiley Happy

Which really was a huge surprise. I'm pretty sure they gave me that limit based off of having 2 other older cards that both had around an 18k limit. They just matched me basically.

My scores at that time were around 770 or so with nothing really negative. Income of 90k, and about 7 inq's on average.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.