cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best non-military CU, CC with high limits?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Best non-military CU, CC with high limits?

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Want to add a third CC and think a Credit Union is a good way to go.Which non military CU would you recommend for good service and high starting limits? I'm in florida but don't mind working with a credit union out of state. Thanks.

You may want to check out the loophole way of getting in to PSECU.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Would-you-pay-75-bucks-to-join-PSECU/td-p/1610412

I was reading that thread curious to see if anyone has success getting in with that loophole.I would be all for trying it.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 11 of 16
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Want to add a third CC and think a Credit Union is a good way to go.Which non military CU would you recommend for good service and high starting limits? I'm in florida but don't mind working with a credit union out of state. Thanks.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Would-you-pay-75-bucks-to-join-PSECU/td-p/1610412

Thanks I'll check it out.

I don't think that loophole is valid.   I got into PSECU without being a state-resident, but thats because I have a PA driver's license.  I called and asked about this before applying for membership and was told to fill out the application using a PA address (I used the address of family currently living in PA).  They wouldn't have told me to apply this way if they were just going to let any out-of-staters in.

I wonder if having family in PA is the only way to show a PA address? Couldn't a person simply set up a mailbox there and be considered in-state? I know people that have worked in NYC but commuted back to PA. Legal residence was in NYC via a mailbox for tax purposes. They did it for years and was never a problem. I personally have cousins in PA that would let me use their address but I would prefer to use my address here in florida.PSECU hopefully will allow out of state customers apply for credit cards.

Goal 750 Across

Message 12 of 16
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I don't think that loophole is valid.   I got into PSECU without being a state-resident, but thats because I have a PA driver's license.  I called and asked about this before applying for membership and was told to fill out the application using a PA address (I used the address of family currently living in PA).  They wouldn't have told me to apply this way if they were just going to let any out-of-staters in.

I wonder if having family in PA is the only way to show a PA address? Couldn't a person simply set up a mailbox there and be considered in-state? I know people that have worked in NYC but commuted back to PA. Legal residence was in NYC via a mailbox for tax purposes. They did it for years and was never a problem. I personally have cousins in PA that would let me use their address but I would prefer to use my address here in florida.PSECU hopefully will allow out of state customers apply for credit cards.

I don't think so.  They are exclusive.  But maybe you could get in with a PO Box or your cousins' addresses.  Or you could try that supposed $75 loophole organization, but that sounds like a waste of $75 to me, because I don't think it will get you in.  If I were in your situation, I would call PSECU and ask them if there was a way I could get in, which is exactly what I did when I applied for membership.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 16
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I don't think so.  They are exclusive.  But maybe you could get in with a PO Box or your cousins' addresses.  Or you could try that supposed $75 loophole organization, but that sounds like a waste of $75 to me, because I don't think it will get you in.  If I were in your situation, I would call PSECU and ask them if there was a way I could get in, which is exactly what I did when I applied for membership.

Thanks.Think I wait and see if any board members have success getting in via loophole. Is PSECU the only great non military CU with great services and limits?

Goal 750 Across

Message 14 of 16
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Thanks.Think I wait and see if any board members have success getting in via loophole. Is PSECU the only great non military CU with great services and limits?

No.  Most credit unions anywhere generally offer credit cards and other loans with lower APRs than most banks.  You could just find a Florida credit union that you are definately eligible for and they will probably give you a better deal than any major bank.  SDFCU is a DC-area credit union that is government-employee oriented (specifically Department of State), but anyone can get in.  They offer EMV chip + PIN Visas and great customer service in my experience.  The APR on my SDFCU card is lower than the 9.9% APR offered on the PSECU card, plus it has EMV and a magnitude of awesome rewards that I actually make me excited to save my Flexpoints for.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 15 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Golden1 Credit Union

Digital Federal Credit Union

Patelco Credit Union

These are among the top 50 credit unions by membership and available for anyone to join.

I wouldn't put DCU on this list as least from my perspective. I have been stuck on a $7500 CL with them since 2002 and not one auto CLI. Although I have used the card well and pif all the time. I did risk one HP two years ago but no results.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.