Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best overall card for Hotel rewards/transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best overall card for Hotel rewards/transfers

I have done a lot of research online regarding cards that are good for hotel rewards.

I still find myself confused, so I am asking the experts here.

I go on vacation only once every 2 years. I had thought about an airline reward card, but as I got to thinking, I feel I would benefit from a card that I could use for free hotel nights instead. If I put all of my excess spend on this type of card, maybe I will be lucky enough to get to get a free hotel for a week (if not more) every couple of years. 

I would use this card for payments of the following: small everyday expenditures (lunch, convenience stores), groceries, paying heat and electric bill every month, dining (which I do ALOT). I put gas, shipping, business meals, cell charges on my business cards.

Perhaps some of the cards I already possess have this feature?

AMEX Gold Personal

AMEX Gold OPEN Business

AMEX BCE

Chase freedom

Chase INK cash

CITI Forward

Discover More

Is there a card that can be used for hotel redemption that will better suit my goal? Do I get a specific HOTEL card (i.e. SPG, Hilton, Marriot, etc.), or do I go for a card that has more general rewards such as Sapphire Preferred or Venture? I want to maximize as many points possible. Do any cards that you know of allow you to use your points to book a Disney Resort Hotel? (Polynesian, French Quarter, etc.). I also go to CA and NV on vacation. I plan on expanding my travels over the next 10 years, and possibly go to Europe and HI.

I enjoy the cashback cards, but I think I would rather just let points accumulate at this point and reap some meaningful hotel stays every couple of years.

I will probably cancel BCE. I only use the card for groceries. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Best overall card for Hotel rewards/transfers

For Disney Resort hotels thats an easy one, Disney Rewards Visa Credit Card from Chase, However not sure how it compares to others

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you John.

I was hoping for something a little more flexible (perhaps use at Disney and other places). If there are no other cards for Disney other than the Disney Chase card, I can pass on any Disney rewards and hopefully get something more flexible.

Message 3 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You basically just have to look at the hotel cards, the amount of spend you put through a card, the redemption values for their rewards programs, and compare.  What kind of hotels are looking to be able to redeem for?  Are you hoping for a free week at a top-level resort or at a basic category 1 hotel?  Does your annual spend, and thus the amount of points you can earn from that spend, support those expectations?

I do like the cash and points redemptions through the SPG program.  It lets you stretch the value of your points.  I think Hilton has a similar feature. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you John.

I was hoping for something a little more flexible (perhaps use at Disney and other places). If there are no other cards for Disney other than the Disney Chase card, I can pass on any Disney rewards and hopefully get something more flexible.

You could stay at a resort property operated by one of the other hotel chains.  I had a work conference at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek this year and turned it into a mini vacation afterward.  It was a nice Hilton and like many of the area hotels, it had free shuttles to the park.  The shuttles ran frequently and were on-time.  So if you were to get a Hilton card, you could stay at Hilton properties if you went to Disney.  I haven't looked into it, but I would imagine Marriott, Starwood, and Hyatt have properties down there also.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Walt_K.

I am not looking for fancy hotels necessarily. When I go away, I am usually not in my Hotel room much, other than to sleep. I just realize that when I go on vacation, one of the biggest expenses is the hotel stay, so I think a card that can give me Hotel rewards is the probably the best option for me (probably even better than a cashback scenario....and ironically, almost all of my cards have cashback rewards).

I will probably spend around 2K monthly on the card. This is for general expenses. 

I am unsure if I can even benefit from something like SPG or Hilton because, maybe I am wrong, but they seem geared for people who do a lot of travel and can rack up points by putting SPG or Hilton expenditures on the card. I don't frequent Hotels enough to "boost" point values. I just want to accumulate a lot of points so I can redeem when vacation time comes around.

Good point you make with Disney. I do not have to stay on one of their properties.

So, I don't know if getting a specified Hotel card will get me the best rewards. I looked into Sapphire which looks interesting (gives double points for dining which I do a lot of), as well as Discover Miles and Escape, and also Cap1 Venture. I guess I need a general card that will get me the most points redeemable for Hotel nights. I am willing to stay at any hotel that the card will allow me to, so I am flexible with that. 

Everyone seems to love SPG. I am wondering what I am missing here. 

Message 6 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Walt_K.

I am not looking for fancy hotels necessarily. When I go away, I am usually not in my Hotel room much, other than to sleep. I just realize that when I go on vacation, one of the biggest expenses is the hotel stay, so I think a card that can give me Hotel rewards is the probably the best option for me (probably even better than a cashback scenario....and ironically, almost all of my cards have cashback rewards).

I will probably spend around 2K monthly on the card. This is for general expenses. 

I am unsure if I can even benefit from something like SPG or Hilton because, maybe I am wrong, but they seem geared for people who do a lot of travel and can rack up points by putting SPG or Hilton expenditures on the card. I don't frequent Hotels enough to "boost" point values. I just want to accumulate a lot of points so I can redeem when vacation time comes around.

Good point you make with Disney. I do not have to stay on one of their properties.

So, I don't know if getting a specified Hotel card will get me the best rewards. I looked into Sapphire which looks interesting (gives double points for dining which I do a lot of), as well as Discover Miles and Escape, and also Cap1 Venture. I guess I need a general card that will get me the most points redeemable for Hotel nights. I am willing to stay at any hotel that the card will allow me to, so I am flexible with that. 

Everyone seems to love SPG. I am wondering what I am missing here. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head for why you don't see the benefit of SPG; you don't do enough reimbursable business travel and stay in SPG hotels to get significant points.  Check out Hilton Surpass.  At least for a year.  It gets you at least 3 points per dollar, 6 points on supermarkets, drug stores and stand- alone gas stations; and for service payments for home and wireless phone, cable, satellite TV and Internet service providers.  Plus, it comes complimentary with Hilton HHonors Gold for the first year, and if you put $20K through the card annually, which you would at $2K per year, you re-qualify for Gold status.  A really nice thing about Hilton's Gold status is that it comes with free breakfast.  That's a pretty significant cost savings for a full week stay. 

So let's say you put your $24K spend through the card and it was all at base level of 3 points per dollar.  That's 72K points in a year.  Obviously some of your spend is going to be in those bonus categories.  Let's say a third of it.  So you'd earn about 100K points in a year.  That's enough for 4 nights at a category 3 hilton or 3 nights at a cetegory 4 hilton.  Add in the 60,000 bonus point offer (that was what was on Amex's page, check around for better offers), you'd be close to a week in your first year.  And if you don't like the card after a year, you can downgrade to the regular Hhonors Amex that has no AF.

If you go the Chase Sapphire Preferred route, consider coupling it with Chase Freedom.  Even though Chase Freedom is a "cashback" card, if you have the Sapphire Preferred, you can transfer your Chase Freedom points into Ultimate Rewards points.  So you can earn 5 points per dollar on the rotating categories, and then transfer those into Ultimate Rewards, and then into Hyatt at 1:1.

Hyatt's card would be worthwhile for you to consider at some point if for no other reason than the bonus of 2 nights in any Hyatt.  If you and a significant other both got the card, you could go stay in one of their top properties, like they Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris for a long weekend combining your 2 nights that each of you would earn.  Just checking a weekend in October, a standard room is $881 per night.  You could stay there for 4 nights for free.  I thought Hyatt's card used to waive the annual fee for first year, but checking it now, it doesn't look like it does anymore.  Still, $75 for two free nights isn't bad, especially when it is two nights in any hotel.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walt_K

I can not thank you enough for taking the time out to go into such great detail about these cards!!! Seriously....thank you so much.

Very interesting info regarding the Freedom and Sapphire. I imagine I may be able to transfer the cash back on my INK to ultimate rewards as well. That may be a nice triple play for me. The only problem I see here is that I got the Freedom in August and the INK in September. I may have to hold out here, but this seems like a very interesting option.

I am going to do more research on the Hilton Surpass. I like the idea of the free breakfast, and it does seem like I can get a lot of points with this card based on the catagories. I am also going to go look into Hyatt. An option that I had not thought of which also may work out great.

Message 8 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Just saw this and thought you might be interested: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/10/chase-sweetens-marriott-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses/

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Thanks for passing this along.

This looks like a pretty good deal actually.

I am still researching and trying to narrow it down. This Marriott card needs some serious consideration.

I am going to take a look at the various hotel locations each has to offer, and try to figure out which card has the most generous point redemption for the hotels. 

I am getting there...but giving myself a headache in the process. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.