Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best plan of attack for my Fiance

tag
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Best plan of attack for my Fiance

Hey All, 

My Fiance is 18 years old, and just started college this year. She turned 18 in April, with a clean slate; and applied for a Discover IT student addition card. (She was denied, but didnt tell me she had applied or I would have pushed her to recon the decision). She also applied for a Capital One card and was approved for a $500 limit. Her goal is to establish enough positive credit to get an AMEX card. 

My original thinking on this was, get the capital one card, she has run about $400 a month through the card, but paid in full before the statement cuts (exception, 3 months she had a balance of ~15 - 30$ on the card at statement date). I told her at 6 months (October) to ask for a SP CLI from Capital one. If she is granted the CLI. wait till that limit is reported, and then apply for another card. Which will put her at 3 INQ; but to keep using these 2 cards for 12 months - 18 months, so that after that time she would be in a good position to apply for BCP. (Her goal). 

Is this a reasonable template? Should she plan on using these cards with positive history for longer then 12 - 18 months? Would it be easier to after the 12 months apply for PRG, and then apply for BCP within the first year when annual fee is waived and then close PRG? She is not to keen on charge cards and would like to skip using that method if possible. 

Would it help her if I made her an AU on my Chase Sapphire ($7500 limit, 1.5 years no lates). I thought I read on here people had some issues with Chase not reporting for AU. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

I am still *rebuilding* and am not in good enough shape to apply for the AMEX, but I am being patient and getting myself there as well! 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Best plan of attack for my Fiance

@Emdee_MD wrote:

Hey All, 

My Fiance is 18 years old, and just started college this year. She turned 18 in April, with a clean slate; and applied for a Discover IT student addition card. (She was denied, but didnt tell me she had applied or I would have pushed her to recon the decision). She also applied for a Capital One card and was approved for a $500 limit. Her goal is to establish enough positive credit to get an AMEX card. 

My original thinking on this was, get the capital one card, she has run about $400 a month through the card, but paid in full before the statement cuts (exception, 3 months she had a balance of ~15 - 30$ on the card at statement date). I told her at 6 months (October) to ask for a SP CLI from Capital one. If she is granted the CLI. wait till that limit is reported, and then apply for another card. Which will put her at 3 INQ; but to keep using these 2 cards for 12 months - 18 months, so that after that time she would be in a good position to apply for BCP. (Her goal). 

Is this a reasonable template? Should she plan on using these cards with positive history for longer then 12 - 18 months? Would it be easier to after the 12 months apply for PRG, and then apply for BCP within the first year when annual fee is waived and then close PRG? She is not to keen on charge cards and would like to skip using that method if possible. 

Would it help her if I made her an AU on my Chase Sapphire ($7500 limit, 1.5 years no lates). I thought I read on here people had some issues with Chase not reporting for AU. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

I am still *rebuilding* and am not in good enough shape to apply for the AMEX, but I am being patient and getting myself there as well! 

Before my credit is where it is at now, my DW put me on her chase card as an AU and it reported. Now, people have had a hard time getting an AU to report if you do not live at the same address. If she does not live with you, or you with her, then the CRA may not report the AU. 

The easiest way for her to get in with AMEX may be a charge card. I know I first got in with AMEX with the Zync charge card and then a few months later I was approved for the Blue Sky. This was also just after the financial crisis so things should be alittle easier now. 

I am not a big fan on opening cards jus to close them soon after. If a card does not have an AF then you can always just sock drawer it. I am also a firm believer in grow your current CLs before applying for a lot of new cards. Granted, Cap1 is not known for easy CLIs, but you can always try. 

Ask her what the reason was for her Discover denial. If she has not already, she will receive a letter in the mail with her CS and the reason for denial. If I had to guess, she either reported no income or very little. That seems to be a common theme on the Discover IT student denials. 

Message 2 of 9
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Yeah, she does live with me. She has been living here since April. The Discover IT was her first app for a card ever. and she did not even include an income when she applied. She works part time, and goes to school full time. But I think she was afraid to report any income because she didn't know how much to put annually and didnt want to be incorrect. 

The letter already came and went. Its too late for a recon now. that was back in April. I didn't know about it till it was too late. 

The only thing on her CR is the Cap1 card, and 2 INQ, currently. I guess my concern is how long she should hold that card before applying for a second. and what kind of AAoA, Amex would be looking for. I would imagine they would want her to have more then just the 1 card reporting. 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 3 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

Given that you two are getting married, consider giving her the money to open a secured card.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

She might try Discover again, this time with income. Amex is great to start early but if she has little to no income I'm not sure the PRG would be beneficial for her. Whether you decide to add her to your CSP is up to you. IMO, being added as an AU is best to help establish a credit profile. It appears she's done that without your help.

BoA has a nice card that graduates and Barclays is a good one too for average credit.
Message 5 of 9
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Cap1 will be 6 months in October. If she tries discover again in October, and keeps them both for 12 months. What do you think are the chances for an amex revolver? or is that not enough AAoA

Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

First, I wouldn't try Discover until her Cap 1 reports 6 mos. if she's successful and keeps both cards for a year without any inq's I say her odds are very good.
Message 7 of 9
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Yeah that was the current plan. Cap1 will be 6 months in October. She is going to request a CLI at that time. wait for that CLI to show so come November it will be 7 months. Apply for Discover once the CLI is on her CR. Then continue using and paying those 2 cards for 12 months; before app'ing for AMEX.

I just wasn't sure if that would be enough history.

Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.