Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best pure spend card, AF not important

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Best pure spend card, AF not important

In your opinions, what is the best card for good spending? For example, if you were going to push five figures of general spend through a card, which one would it be?

Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best pure spend card, AF not important

What do you value? Cash back or points for travel? Or cashback on your travel? Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 83
Open123
Super Contributor

For cash rewards, Fidelity AmEx and JCB Murakai.

For travel rewards, there's no simple answer, but I'm partial to the SPG.

Message 3 of 83
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@KennyS2006 wrote:
What do you value? Cash back or points for travel? Or cashback on your travel? Smiley Wink

Honestly, I value... value, LOL. This question doesn't apply to me, I am just curious. I don't mind using points for travel. Seems like you can get more bang for your buck using for travel, and honestly, hotels or airfare would be my choice. I would honestly factor other things into it too, like elite upgrades (Hyatt, SPG, etc), special perks (United Club, Exec AAdvantage, etc), and things like that. But mostly getting the most bang for the buck. Let's assume someone would spend 25k general spend on the card.

Message 4 of 83
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

Honestly, I value... value, LOL. This question doesn't apply to me, I am just curious. I don't mind using points for travel. Seems like you can get more bang for your buck using for travel, and honestly, hotels or airfare would be my choice. I would honestly factor other things into it too, like elite upgrades (Hyatt, SPG, etc), special perks (United Club, Exec AAdvantage, etc), and things like that. But mostly getting the most bang for the buck. Let's assume someone would spend 25k general spend on the card.

only 25k a year? I would get a Discover Card, or the Chase Freedom... no AF and the rotating 5% and the ability to get straight cash back.

I'm sorry but 25k a year in spending is not enough to justify the AF on any card based solely on the rewards, 25k points will at best get you a domestic airline ticket once a year.

If your spending was 50-75K I would recommend the SPG card, I find the best value in their points. 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 83
Open123
Super Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

Honestly, I value... value, LOL. 

If value is the *only* condition without any consideration to personal preference or FTF, then the SPG.

Message 6 of 83
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@ryanbush wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

only 25k a year? I would get a Discover Card, or the Chase Freedom... no AF and the rotating 5% and the ability to get straight cash back.

I'm sorry but 25k a year in spending is not enough to justify the AF on any card based solely on the rewards, 25k points will at best get you a domestic airline ticket once a year.

If your spending was 50-75K I would recommend the SPG card, I find the best value in their points. 

Honestly, I just picked a number. I am surprised at the Freedom / IT suggestion. Their spending is a best value in somewhat focused areas isn't it (although they frequently have general spend type categories).

The SPG card is a very frequent suggestion. Is that just because starpoints are generally worth more than a cent apiece when redeemed wisely?

Message 7 of 83
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I'm Fidelity all the way unless you travel

Message 8 of 83
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

The answer really depends on what categories you spend a lot of money in. Even when you are going to put all spending on one card.

For example, the American Express Blue Cash card might be best for such a high spend, because after spending $6500 you would earn 5% cash back on Grocery Stores, Gas Stations And Drugstores. If you spend a lot in those 3 categories, then the old Blue Cash probably wins hands down. If your spend is really spread out, then the Fidelity Amex with its 2% on everything might be best.

Travel reward cards can get you much more value, however it is usually on the higher priced tickets. If you are trying to be frugal, then the value you get is vastly reduced. And you have to match the travel card to the airlines/hotels that you intend to use, etc.

In other words, its complicated, and thus there is no such thing as a best card.

So my answer to your question of what card is best, is: a Blue one.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 83
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The answer really depends on what categories you spend a lot of money in. Even when you are going to put all spending on one card.

For example, the American Express Blue Cash card might be best for such a high spend, because after spending $6500 you would earn 5% cash back on Grocery Stores, Gas Stations And Drugstores. If you spend a lot in those 3 categories, then the old Blue Cash probably wins hands down. If your spend is really spread out, then the Fidelity Amex with its 2% on everything might be best.

Travel reward cards can get you much more value, however it is usually on the higher priced tickets. If you are trying to be frugal, then the value you get is vastly reduced. And you have to match the travel card to the airlines/hotels that you intend to use, etc.

In other words, its complicated, and thus there is no such thing as a best card.

So my answer to your question of what card is best, is: a Blue one.

Smiley Very Happy!

Message 10 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.