Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best "First Card" For Those With 0 Credit? Non Student

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Best "First Card" For Those With 0 Credit? Non Student

Hey,

For those of you who had heavy au/no revolving history, what card approved you? I just want to create a final list for my gf to choose from as she's ready to start the road again. Heavy closed au accounts, new car loan and that's it. No inq's. I am tempted to recommend City Aadvantage because they approve those with bad marks, but I have no idea if 0 history would lead to rejection.

So, if you were in that boat, I'd love to hear from you. Note that she is NOT a student.

TY

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best "First Card" For Those With 0 Credit? Non Student

DW and I started repair August last year and started with 0 CCs each [except that DW was an AU on a Citi acct], several baddies, FICOs in the 500s, and only one open TL for a car loan. I started with a Credit One card and a secured Orchard. DW started with a Citi Platinum and a HSBC.

Getting that first CC is a challenge. DW and I would have done things differently. We would have opened only 1 CC each, let that report, and then go to the next, rather than apping for everything.

Message Edited by llecs on 10-17-2008 02:52 PM
Message 2 of 10
jbh
Established Contributor

Interesting, citi did give approval even with 0 history? They pulled eq for me (denied due to inq's, didn't care about my baddie)

Despite her 0 cc's, her EQ is insanely high. Their aadvantage card seems to be leneint but I was hesitant. Oddly, she called HSBC and the rep said she'd probably only get a secured card. Maybe citi is worth one shot.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@jbh wrote:

Interesting, citi did give approval even with 0 history? They pulled eq for me (denied due to inq's, didn't care about my baddie)

Despite her 0 cc's, her EQ is insanely high. Their aadvantage card seems to be leneint but I was hesitant. Oddly, she called HSBC and the rep said she'd probably only get a secured card. Maybe citi is worth one shot.

Thanks

You know what, I was wrong.....I totally forgot that DW was an AU on another Citi acct at $6300 CL (but maxed out). However, her card was only $500 and no CLIs since. I'm editing my post above.
Message 4 of 10
jbh
Established Contributor

Yeah, that's one advantage that my gf doesn't have. Her au's are closed positive, no current outside of a new auto loan. I guess a prime starter (low limit) really is impossible.
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If there were ever a poster child for someone who needs to start with a CU, it's your GF. Great high EQ score, no real current credit experience in her own name.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
jbh
Established Contributor

That's our dilema. We know Penfed is strict and I personally got bunked by Alliant due to a ca and it made me think all of the popular ones are very strict. She cannot join NFCU, sadly.

Is it best to just go to a local one? I'd feel bad if I suggested the more popular ones just for them to say she isn't ready for them. 

Thanks

Message Edited by jbh on 10-17-2008 06:20 PM
Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sorry, I should have clarified; yes, definitely go to a local one. Have her print out a new FICO EQ score and report to run by them. They'll still need to do a real inq once she decides to go with them, but she ought to be able to get an informed response from a loan officer armed with these.

After six months with this, she should be able to move straight on to a card from a major national bank. Whichever ones are still in business at that point! Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
jbh
Established Contributor

Ok, that makes sense. I just have to hope the local cu's pull EQ as it has all of the past accounts and highest score. We'll do the research. Maybe she'll also go to BoA (setting up a new account) and see what they have. Worst case, she'll get a 99/500 hopefully.

Interestingly enough, she said she is ok with a secured card and we were wondering if Penfed offers one. Wasn't sure if you knew off-hand. If not, we'll find out today by calling

TY

Message 9 of 10
elsijfdl
Contributor

I would probably avoid HSBC - Cap One is a better lender in "that" category.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.