Did you mean: 

Best restaurant card

tag
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Best restaurant card

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

The Cash+ would be the best if you set both your choices restaurant and fast food(includes starbucks).  You would essentially get 6.25 with the $25 bonus. Smiley Tongue

Great card too!  Smiley Happy

+1 Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 49
kobe2012
Established Contributor

how about paypal mastercard or priceline visa??? anyone have these cards??... i don't think i can get approved for citi or us bank yet... am tryin a lender that will pull TU and planning to apply once my last collection falls but would still have 2 charged offs from 6 years ago....

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 12 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

The Cash+ would be the best if you set both your choices restaurant and fast food(includes starbucks).  You would essentially get 6.25 with the $25 bonus. Smiley Tongue

Great card too!  Smiley Happy

+1 Smiley Happy

While it is a great card, using two 5% options on eating has some opportunity costs (most likely, giving up bill pay).   I would try to estimate spending on fast food, restaurants, and one or two of the other 5% options.   With US Bank, each of these can earn 6.25%,  with Citi Forward you can free the 5% options up for other things.

So depends, as always, on how much you spend on what!   I can imagine cases where keep restaurants and bill pay for Cash Plus, and Citi for fast food, e.g. where you spend enough on restaurants to make the extra 1.25% worthwhile, and you don't have a pressing need for another Cash Plus category.

Message 13 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@flowfaster wrote:

Does the card regard sandwich shops as restaurants or fast food do you know? 

Message 14 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

You would have to use something like

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/NewSearch.do

to see.   I have been surprised at a number of locations (generally to find what I thought MUST be fast food is classified as a restaurant.)

Message 15 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@bs6054 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

to see.   I have been surprised at a number of locations (generally to find what I thought MUST be fast food is classified as a restaurant.)

Thanks for the useful link, though I doubt I'll use it much, as I like to try out many different eateries on a regular basis. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

Thanks for the useful link, though I doubt I'll use it much, as I like to try out many different eateries on a regular basis. Smiley Happy

Well, that's what I do too!  The link is used as "Which card should I use to pay?"   If it comes up as a restaurant, I'll use Cash Plus, if Fast Food, some other card, if it comes up as Heavy Machinery - Electrical, well, probably shouldn't have eaten there.

Message 17 of 49
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

I don't like that you have to choose two categories for food on this card.  I recommend the Forward or the Discover Miles.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 18 of 49
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

I don't like that you have to choose two categories for food on this card.  I recommend the Forward or the Discover Miles.

I'd have to agree regarding spending two categories for food; there's enough cards out there which cover restaurants in general, and the Cash+ is so brilliant because it fills in the gaps for other reward card spending.

Plus if you can get the Cash+ you can get any other card discussed so far anyway.  Personally I'd do both if I could.

@SnackTrader: that's an awfully handy tip regarding 5% straight cash back on mortgage payments (if I have a lender that supports credit card payments in the future) that I'll have to look into if the situation arises and I'm not cooking as much as I expect post mortgage... which is probably guarunteed.  Thanks for posting it.

        
Message 19 of 49
nickn86
Contributor

^^  The mortgager doesn't need to accept CC payments.  What Citi does is mail you a check addressed to the bank that you then send in to the bank.

I've heard some people just sign the check over to their personal account.  I'm not sure how that works.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.