Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best restaurant card

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Best restaurant card

@AndySoCal wrote:

Its two percent cash back year round. The restraunts I eat at take Discover a few examples are Outback, Olive Garden, Denney's .We will see  about  what Discover does with Open Road  so far no norifications.

Those are chained restaurants, I meant local small restaurant. Discover already stopped promoting Escape, Miles, More, Motiva, and Open Road.

$250 monthly cap is very low for frequent diners.

Message 41 of 49
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The two  local ones in my area take Discover.. In my case the limit does not affect me.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 42 of 49
mirachi
Regular Contributor

From what I've found, Citi TY Points have a value of anywhere from $0.0062 - $0.0133 (depending on what you're redeeming it for; $0.0062 is cash redemption). Chase, from what I've seen are generally $0.01 - not sure what it would be for cash. Just note, however, TY Points do expire after 6 years while Chase's UR points don't have an expiration date (in case that matters).

I'd personally get Chase Freedom, Discover, and US Bank Cash+ and just rotate it depending on what's the quarterly bonus categories, with Cash+ for whichever categories Chase & Discover doesn't cover (that way you can also use Cash+ for other categories when restaurants/fast food is covered by one of the other two). 

Chase pulled EX while Discover pulled TU for me (NY here); not sure what US Bank pulls but I've read generally EQ with phone apps unless you're transfered to a call center by where you live - in which case, it becomes whatever is usually the CRA pulled.

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 43 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

Its two percent cash back year round. The restraunts I eat at take Discover a few examples are Outback, Olive Garden, Denney's .We will see  about  what Discover does with Open Road  so far no norifications.

My (negative) "Why" to your suggestion was because the thread was asking for a recommendation:

What would be the best card for dining???

and the Open Road, at 2% is obviously worse (for dining) than the Citi Forward (which gives over 3% even at the lowest rate of redemption) and Us Bank Cash Plus, which gives 5-6.25%.  Both of those are uncapped whereas Open Road isn't, so it makes no sense as a recommendation for others as "best card", even if it suits your needs well.  (Edit: and both are also year round)

Message 44 of 49
Alcibiades
Contributor

The AMEX Blue Sky Preferred could be good if you use the card to reimburse travel expenses. It gives you 2 points per one dollar spent on dining, and every 7,500 points is redeemable for $100 in travel reimbursement. That basically implies 2.7% cash back on all dining purshases (when used for travel).

Message 45 of 49
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

I would suggest Discover open road 2% at Restraunts and Gas.

-1 Even the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa (2% everything) is a better choice.

Message 46 of 49
Alcibiades
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

My (negative) "Why" to your suggestion was because the thread was asking for a recommendation:

and the Open Road, at 2% is obviously worse (for dining) than the Citi Forward (which gives over 3% even at the lowest rate of redemption) and Us Bank Cash Plus, which gives 5-6.25%.  Both of those are uncapped whereas Open Road isn't, so it makes no sense as a recommendation for others as "best card", even if it suits your needs well.  (Edit: and both are also year round)

I had not heard of the US Bank Cash Plus card until now, so I did some research on it. I was ready to apply because it looked awesome. However, according to Fat Wallet, changes are coming to the card basically immediately. This is expected as US Bank restricted applications to in branch recently (never a good sign unless for a premium card like Palladium or something) The 5% categories will be capped out at $2,000 (presumably quarterly) and some categories (like Bill Pay) are apparently being removed. The thread doesn't say that restaurants are being removed.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1197402/?start=560

These restrictions make cards like Citi Forward, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and Amex Blue Sky Preferred a lot more competitve depending on spending patterns.

Message 47 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Alcibiades wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

I had not heard of the US Bank Cash Plus card until now, so I did some research on it. I was ready to apply because it looked awesome. However, according to Fat Wallet, changes are coming to the card basically immediately. This is expected as US Bank restricted applications to in branch recently (never a good sign unless for a premium card like Palladium or something) The 5% categories will be capped out at $2,000 (presumably quarterly) and some categories (like Bill Pay) are apparently being removed. The thread doesn't say that restaurants are being removed.

These restrictions make cards like Citi Forward, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and Amex Blue Sky Preferred a lot more competitve depending on spending patterns.

Yes, we have all been expecting changes to the card, and there is a big thread about this here today, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Big-Changes-bad-Coming-to-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/1806571

but we don't know what the real changes will be.   But it has been an awesome card, too awesome to continue!

Message 48 of 49
Alcibiades
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

Yes, we have all been expecting changes to the card, and there is a big thread about this here today, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Big-Changes-bad-Coming-to-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/1806571

but we don't know what the real changes will be.   But it has been an awesome card, too awesome to continue!

Yeah, I noticed that thread right after I posted the reply!

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.