Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best restaurant rewards?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best restaurant rewards?

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

1. I'll just point out the marginal value of UR points: If you are spending 2500/month on restaurants, you COULD get more points with other cards. But if that is your one luxury spend and you put it on cash back cards, you are missing an opportunity to accumulate the level of UR points where the redemptions become truly special. For me, every point that goes on a non-UR card is an opportunity lost that has to be subtracted from whatever redemption I do get.

+1

Excellent point, and one that's not often mentioned enough, in my view.

For example, the US Bank Cash+ has some unique categories which can't be found on another card, whereas there are other viable options for restaurants.  Case in point.  The "Charity" category for the US Bank Cash+ will confer 5% bonus to Opera tickets; the eletronic store will confer 5% to NewEgg; and, sporting goods for places such as sierratradingpost.

Message 31 of 48
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Slightly dated thread, but I was also wondering what the best card was for rewards/cash back in connection with restaurants - excluding the 5% rotating categories. Someone mentioned SallieMae, but I thought that was for groceries and did not include restaurants? Also, up to 250 is not much. I eat out M-F and the weekends, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Currently I am using my paypal extras, since it offers 2.5%.

Message 32 of 48
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@akula wrote:

Slightly dated thread, but I was also wondering what the best card was for rewards/cash back in connection with restaurants - excluding the 5% rotating categories. Someone mentioned SallieMae, but I thought that was for groceries and did not include restaurants? Also, up to 250 is not much. I eat out M-F and the weekends, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cash + is 5%

CSP/CS is 2UR/dollar, potentially worth ~5% back if redeemed correctly. AARP is 3%

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 33 of 48
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

Chase aarp is 3% unlimited, no cap

Message 34 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

Cash + is 5%

CSP/CS is 2UR/dollar, potentially worth ~5% back if redeemed correctly. AARP is 3%

And Citi Premier/Prestige are 3 TYP per $, which is 4.8% on AA (with the Prestige) and potentially more if redeemed via transfer.

Message 35 of 48
red259
Super Contributor

Gah I can't stand it when dead threads get revived like this. Just realized I was posting a response to a post from last year! If a thread is this old please feel free to start a new thread! 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 36 of 48
carlosjgg
Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@slap_happy wrote:

Seems like 2 pts or 2% seems to be the best, anyone know of anything better? 

I spend about $2500 a month eating out so the more rewards the better Smiley Happy 

Waiting for a revolving category on Freedom/Discover/Dividend, or getting the Sallie Mae card for up to 5x on $250 a month, paired with US Bank Cash+ and choosing 5x on restaurants and fast food, with a cap of 5x on $2000 between the two. So you would only have $250 unaccounted for certain quarters if one of the 5x revolvers doesn't offer restaurants, and could instead use a 2x on it, such as CS/CSP

sam's club mc 5x on gas, 3x on travel and restaurants

Chase sp 5k c---------------------------Care credit 4500 cl
Chase mileageplus explorer 5k ---Citi diamond p 2k
Chase mileageplus club 15k ------ Discover it 1.5k
Amex ed 5k -----------------------------Lowe's 10k-----Dinersclub mc 5k
Amex gold npsl plus a 35k cl--------BestBuy 2.1k--Kay's 5k
Sam's mc 4.5k --------------------------Jared 6k
Message 37 of 48
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

Cash + is 5%

And Citi Premier/Prestige are 3 TYP per $, which is 4.8% on AA (with the Prestige) and potentially more if redeemed via transfer.

Old thread but still valid topic in today's market.  

So I'll bite..

Best rewards program for restaurants, fast foods, or anything for that matter ( where warranty and buyer protection aren't needed  )  remains the VISA/mastercard giftcard when purchased with the AMEX 5% cashback card.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 38 of 48
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

Which Amex gives 5%?

Message 39 of 48
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

Cash + is 5%

Old thread but still valid topic in today's market.  

So I'll bite..

Best rewards program for restaurants, fast foods, or anything for that matter ( where warranty and buyer protection aren't needed  )  remains the VISA/mastercard giftcard when purchased with the AMEX 5% cashback card.

or I can just Cash +...no purchase price to consider or declined prepaid cards.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.