Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best reward card for Seniors

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Best reward card for Seniors

For groceries and gas with no annual fee, possibly the AMEX BCE (3% groceries, 2% gas, 2% "select" department stores). Note that Walmart, Sam's, Costco, and Target are notable merchants that don't count as grocery stores. And when AMEX says "select" department stores, they really mean "select." Smiley Happy

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html

Capital One's Savor card (3% restaurants, 2% groceries) probably deserves mention in this thread too.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCE Approved for $6k

thanks everyone

Message 12 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With their score that should become 18k in 61 days. My only add to this thread is even though they are getting by fine with a 28k mc, its always good to have a backup just in case. Theyve added an Amex, which is great , certainly an easy way to get sp cli. Id recommend 1 more card, probably a Visa. Maybe recommend to your folks the Navy Cash Rewards, so theyll have their MC, Amex, and a Visa that can also get a big limitSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
With their score that should become 18k in 61 days. My only add to this thread is even though they are getting by fine with a 28k mc, its always good to have a backup just in case. Theyve added an Amex, which is great , certainly an easy way to get sp cli. Id tecommend 1 more card, probably a Visa. Maybe recommend to your folks the Navy Cash Rewards, so theyll have their MC, Amex, and a Visa that can also get a big limitSmiley Happy

I think it really depends on the people involved.    Some (very bright) people REALLY don't want to be bothered with more than one card and just find it too much work to have to use card X for this and card Y for that.   And while we here get excited about such things, the reality is that the cashback often isn't that big to be worth the extra effort.    I can see going from a non-rewards card to a 2% everywhere card, which keeps things simple and has a little payback.    Depending on spending patterns, and where groceries are bought, it could be worth more than the BCE 3/2/1 structure, with its very clunky redemption system.

And, how much do they care (or even know) about SP CLIs.   Like others in the real world, they haven't worried about them before, and can do without now!

Message 14 of 27
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
   I can see going from a non-rewards card to a 2% everywhere card, which keeps things simple and has a little payback.    Depending on spending patterns, and where groceries are bought, it could be worth more than the BCE 3/2/1 structure, with its very clunky redemption system.

+1 One good general spend is easy and will usually be better than a single 4%-5% in one one or 2 category's

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprised no one mentioned Victoria's Secret.
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

Three years ago I had 2 CC's with no rewards and wanted to get a little cash back. ( Why not )  I am in the middle of my 7th decade, and enjoy getting 3% back on my spend. I also do not want a lot of cards however it is not a lot of work to manage 4 or 5.

Follow in your footsteps Kforce. Virtually the same profile (age and number of cards) and as Co_Native said, chasing rewards can be work so weighing the benefits for the card holder is prime. Many Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z and Millenniums may miss the generational effect of the life style left over from the World War II's "Silent Generation" where conservative life styles were the norm and as such, passed it on to the "Baby Boomer Generation" where it still lingers in some of them today. In my case, I pulled $481 in cash last year and a few years back, I ignored the whole thing but from reading on this forum saw missed opportunities to leverage my purchases for money against just using a credit card as a convenience tool (no rewards). Today, cash or points for travel is good and it sure fits my life style.

Message 17 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

As in all things and all ages, show me the money.  RBFCU is 2% cash back for every purchase no AF.  Many reward cards come with AF fees that offer travel miles so I would avoid them unless you can run a lot of purchases through them.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

As in all things and all ages, show me the money.  RBFCU is 2% cash back for every purchase no AF.  Many reward cards come with AF fees that offer travel miles so I would avoid them unless you can run a lot of purchases through them.

Researched this CU, nice new card. Good rewards. Note, many folks will not qualify due to membership being reserved to a geographic area and military/business connection.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

The amex approval is great!
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this, but perhaps each parent should have a card in his or her name (and the other can be an authorized user on the account). Is the original card they had a joint account? In that case, I suppose it doesn't matter. Do they both have 800+ scores, or just one of them? Again, Amex is awesome, and it is great they can reap the rewards!
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.