Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card for average credit?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Best rewards card for average credit?

Is there a rewards card out there that is beneficial for people with average credit? it seems like my national city checkcard offers more rewards and also happens to help me stop using credit cards as much. i have the Capital One no hassle cash rewards card but it seems like a joke. any suggestions?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best rewards card for average credit?

Capital One no hassle rewards.  (not cash)  Average credit $29 AMF but gas, groceries, and drugstores get 5 points per $1 spent.  For every $2000 I spend on those 3 places I can get $100 in gift cards. 5% isn't bad if you ask me.
Message 2 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

For cash back, I think chase freedom has the best rewards for average spenders.  It might be for slightly above average credit, though.  But, it's certainly not as hard to get as some cards, chase is just picky on certain things.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi CashReturns for an easier to get cash back card from a prime bank.

HSBC has a few cards tailored to rewards or cash back

You also might stand a good shot with WaMu Platinum.

All of these cards should take average credit (670ish) if you have no recent baddies or bankruptcy.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

get orchard bank 2 percent cash back card.

Message 5 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I agree with the previous poster. Chase Freedom is an excellent rewards card for average credit. I got mine with a 660 EQ pull back in February.

I got the card mid-February, and as my June statement have already earned $101 in cash back. When you get to $200 in cash back, they give you a check for $250. Can't beat that.

As long as your EQ is clean of any COs or collections it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, lots of members are having success doing recon with Chase.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

FretlessMayhem wrote:

I got the card mid-February, and as my June statement have already earned $101 in cash back. When you get to $200 in cash back, they give you a check for $250. Can't beat that.

WOW.  When my freedom card gets here....  AMEX blue cash you are SOCKDRAWERED!

Just FYI, I got instant approval online and they pulled EQ at 707

I haven't gotten into it so I can't give you my firsthand experience with freedom's rewards program.  Fretless, when you say you get $200 CB and they send you a check for $250, that's a one time thing, right?  I know the offer said $50 CB on your first purchase.

OP what is your EQ score?  It seems that is what Chase will pull.  I looked on whogavemecredit.com and while everyone on there had very high income, their scores were pretty average.  I think there were only 2 that were declined out of 10 or 15 entries.

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-08-2008 11:28 AM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

WOW. When my freedom card gets here.... AMEX blue cash you are SOCKDRAWERED!
Just FYI, I got instant approval online and they pulled EQ at 707
I haven't gotten into it so I can't give you my firsthand experience with freedom's rewards program. Fretless, when you say you get $200 CB and they send you a check for $250, that's a one time thing, right? I know the offer said $50 CB on your first purchase.
OP what is your EQ score? It seems that is what Chase will pull. I looked on whogavemecredit.com and while everyone on there had very high income, their scores were pretty average. I think there were only 2 that were declined out of 10 or 15 entries.

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-08-2008 11:28 AM

I did get the $50 on the first purchase as a one time thing. However, as far as I can tell, the $250 for $200 cash back deal is not a one time thing. It's listed as a card perk on their list when you look at the features online.

As soon as my statement comes in the mail, I am going to break down all of my purchase amounts and categories that add up to the $40-something I got this month. I decided to use the Freedom card as my primary instead of Green this month as to analyze the rewards, since a couple threads had popped up about it here recently.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.