Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card for "lite" travelers

tag
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Best rewards card for "lite" travelers

Other than the CSP, which almost everyone seems to recommend,  what are the best cards for people who only travel a few times a year?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Best rewards card for "lite" travelers

If it is occassional travel and not always on the same carrier, some form of cashback card is probably best.  Which one depends on your spending habits, either a non-rotator that hits your high-spend categories (e.g. BCP/BCE, Cash Plus, Citi 5x TYP) or a rotator such as Freedom/Discover or a 2% card (Fidelity Amex/Priceline).

It's probably not worth paying an annual fee to support "lite" travel.

Now, if it is all on one airline, and you spend a lot, then you could consider a credit card for that airline, to potentially get upgrades, free baggage etc.

Message 2 of 16
boomhower
Valued Contributor

For a lite traveler travel cards are likely to be a losing proposition and you could do better with a cashback card as mentioned.  But carrier cards can be a big benefit with baggage fees alone.  Just depends on if the benefits of the cards outweight the AF it likely carries. 

Message 3 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your responses.  You pretty much confirmed what I was beginning to think.  I have Freedom and Discover It, and for now, they should suit me just fine.  In a couple of years, when I'll be tralvelling more, I will aim for the "perkier" cards.

Message 4 of 16
zerobacan
Established Contributor

However we "lite" travelers can always use the sign up bonuses Smiley Happy
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 5 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Good point!  But in two years i will have my stuent loans paid off, and will be in a better position to app for multiple cards and leverage/combine the bonuses.

Message 6 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

For a lite traveler travel cards are likely to be a losing proposition and you could do better with a cashback card as mentioned.  But carrier cards can be a big benefit with baggage fees alone.  Just depends on if the benefits of the cards outweight the AF it likely carries. 

I agree with this Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

I agree a cash back would be best

OH and focus just watching Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Yikes!  ...and me not wearing my running shoes.

Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Yikes!  ...and me not wearing my running shoes.

Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.