Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card for the credit-averse

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best rewards card for the credit-averse

I would like to find a card for my wife and I to make joint purchases. (We keep separate finances.) Right now we use a joint bank account & debit, but that is not working out that well anymore. She's very credit-averse (never had a CC), so I don't think she'd be willing to juggle cards to maximize rewards. Our joint purchases are mostly groceries, restaurants, pet supplies, and Amazon. We purchase gas separately.

I was thinking either Sallie Mae (since we'd probably hit the $250 cap on just groceries) or a straight 2% card like the Citi Double Cash. Any other suggestions?

(I'm not looking to go out tomorrow and get this card, but I want to plan ahead since this will be an uphill battle.)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best rewards card for the credit-averse

I believe the double cash would be a nice option 

Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Double Cash or Quicksilver are great all purpose cards.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say Sallie Mae+Chase AARP is probably your best option.

1. If you go to whole food a lot........Buy the gift card in Amazon!!!!! It counts as the 5% for Amazon, which cap at 750, then you can use your 250 Cap grocery for non-whole-food grocery shopping. Also the 250 cap for Gas.

2. Chase AARP gives 3% cash back for dining, which is probably the best you can get right now in the market. 

Message 4 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

DC or QS

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say Sallie Mae+Chase AARP is probably your best option.

1. If you go to whole food a lot........Buy the gift card in Amazon!!!!! It counts as the 5% for Amazon, which cap at 750, then you can use your 250 Cap grocery for non-whole-food grocery shopping. Also the 250 cap for Gas.

2. Chase AARP gives 3% cash back for dining, which is probably the best you can get right now in the market. 

Actually this brings up a good point, which is that she doesn't need to carry the "restaurant" card because any time we make joint restaurant purchases, I'll be there with her. Essentially I need a good card for groceries and Amazon.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if it is groceries and Amazon you need specifically, it is hard to beat Sallie Mae. I completely agree with the above posters though that also say that the Double Cash is a terrific all around rewards card.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much are you spending on groceries and Amazon? You may find that Amex BCP is the better option if you have lots of grocery purchases. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually Amazon is not nearly as much as I thought... a little over $100/mo average. We could transfer a lot of the pet purchases there, but I don't think that will add more than $30-40/mo. Groceries looks like around $300/mo on average, with a high of $520 and a low of $200.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.