Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card in my case?

tag
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

Best rewards card in my case?

Looking for the best rewards card for IT (computers and etc) equipment purchases, I usually shop at Staples (store), Amazon or CDW (online) for my business. I've been using my Arrival(2%) but my statements are getting too mixed up since I also use it for personal purchases. Called Barclays to see if I could have an additional card for the business purchases but they said it wouldn't help, they would all show up on the same statement w/out any way to discern from each other.

I was thinking the US Bank Cash Plus but not sure if Staples or Amazon are considered an electronics store?

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best rewards card in my case?

@lexrjSD wrote:

Looking for the best rewards card for IT (computers and etc) equipment purchases, I usually shop at Staples (store), Amazon or CDW (online) for my business. I've been using my Arrival(2%) but my statements are getting too mixed up since I also use it for personal purchases. Called Barclays to see if I could have an additional card for the business purchases but they said it wouldn't help, they would all show up on the same statement w/out any way to discern from each other.

I was thinking the US Bank Cash Plus but not sure if Staples or Amazon are considered an electronics store?

You have an few choices if you shop an lot at amazon would think about sallie mae that has 750 month cap at amazon at 5%. I think if you just shop at staples or office supply stores then there is chase ink card i think. Thrid option you have is getting it for shopdiscover they have staples 5% usually if you buy online. 

Also what are your scores and other stats like ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

What about an actual business credit card?

amex simply cash, chase ink are my top 2 for you

Message 3 of 10
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

What about an actual business credit card?

amex simply cash, chase ink are my top 2 for you

+1

Chase Ink (the cashback version that has no AF)

https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-business-credit-cards/rewards/ink-cash-card

Earn cash back faster
  • Earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent annually at office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services.*
  • Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent annually at gas stations and restaurants.*
  • Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases—with no limit to the amount you can earn.*
  • Redeem for cash back, gift cards and more through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM.
  • Cash back rewards do not expire. 

Message 4 of 10
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Chase Ink Bold/Plus have higher signing bonuses right now (60k UR). This promo ends May 31st!

NB: One is a charge card and one is a revolver.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

Looking for the best rewards card for IT (computers and etc) equipment purchases, I usually shop at Staples (store), Amazon or CDW (online) for my business.

Business and Staples?  One of the Chase Ink cards.  They won't help much with Amazon or CDW but I doubt you'll find one card with max rewards on all.  You can use the Ink to buy Amazon cards at office supply stores at 5% though.  Depending on which Ink the limit on 5% is either $25K or $50K spend.  Plus there's the 60K bonus mentioned above.

Message 6 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

You confused the CSR. Don't worry, eventually the urge to do that goes away...

If you apply for a second card, ie actually fill out the application form, you will get another credit card with another credit limit, even if you apply for the exact same card.

If you call and ask for another card, such as adding an Authorized user to your existing credit card/line, then it wil be as the CSR said, all charges appear on the single statement.

-----------

Amazon is a bookstore. So the Sallie Mae rewards Mastercard with its 5% capped at $750/month at book stores woudl work. Or a US Bank Cash+ if you select Book Stores, upto $2000/quarter (combined with your other 5% category spending).

I think Staples is probably an Office Supply store, and CDW might be an electronics store (then again it might be a discount store)... Some business cards offer discounts on Office Supply stores.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 10
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

OP, 

There is no ideal business card for your situation. All ideas have advantages and disadvantages.

In terms of true business cards, you have no real stand out winner. Sure, you can point to Chase Ink  for office supply stores but you're wasting money on over priced goods in most cases (especially staples). I buy office stuff at Sams Club when I can. Walmart is a decent option as well. Why? Best price. I use my Ink at Sam's since mine is a MC. This turned out to be a great asset for my Ink since it's my only business MC. Getting 1 UR point per dollar at Sams is as good as it gets with biz cards I think. Walmart, I usually use the Spark in these unless I have some other reason to use an Amex. 

And don't forget cash back portals. Pretty good cash back all the place if you are patient for getting paid.

The personal side, it already well explained: Cash + or Amazon-compatible cards. For online, Discover is always a strong candidate as is Chase with the UR Mall.

But again, get the best price. cash back or rewards points is secondary to getting the best price. For this, any card will do so look for the best base rewards like Spark or Ink if you value UR points and that nice sign up.....OR JUST GET BOTH. I have both. Great combo. If I could only keep two biz cards, all my Amex's would go before I parted with those two. 

All that said, If you live by a Costco, Amex has a great card for that store.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 8 of 10
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

You confused the CSR.

Neither the OP nor the CSR were confused.

Some banks (e.g. AMEX) will make "subaccounts" for AUs that issue separate statements. However, most banks (e.g. Barclays, Chase) just mix in AU and primary cardholder transactions.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 9 of 10
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

You confused the CSR.

Neither the OP nor the CSR were confused.

Some banks (e.g. AMEX) will make "subaccounts" for AUs that issue separate statements. However, most banks (e.g. Barclays, Chase) just mix in AU and primary cardholder transactions.

Exactly

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.