Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card

tag
dollarmenu
New Visitor

Re: Best rewards card

So reluctantly I decided to look at my credit report.  It's not great.

Transunion-  656

Equifax- 659

Experian- 646

I do have some great things going for me like recent use of cards, zero inquiries in the past year.

I feel like I'm getting dinged for not owing on a car and not having student loans.

Some of the things it listed is 2 accounts with 60 days or later (both in 2007)

6 (I didn't know it was that many!!!) accounts with missed payments, again in 2007

Short credit history, oldest card is 10 years 1 month

1 missed payment 1 year ago

Too high revolving credit 11%, which I thought was low!

I suppose I will stop looking for the best rewards card and just start rebuilding.  Is there a forum for that?!

Message 11 of 18
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@dollarmenu wrote:

So reluctantly I decided to look at my credit report.  It's not great.

Transunion-  656

Equifax- 659

Experian- 646

Some of the things it listed is 2 accounts with 60 days or later (both in 2007)

6 (I didn't know it was that many!!!) accounts with missed payments, again in 2007

Short credit history, oldest card is 10 years 1 month

1 missed payment 1 year ago

Too high revolving credit 11%, which I thought was low!

FICO considers 1-9% to be optimal for scoring. However, banks will approve you with only 11%. The issue is really with the lates. If you don't have any collection accounts I would apply for the Chase Freedom and Discover IT. Chase has a very good recon department and Discover has been marketing heavily lately (they have a decent recon department as well) If you get denied for them I would be honest and say that you didn't understand the importance of credit since you were around 18-20 when the accounts were late and that you have worked hard on improving. 

Edit: These FICO forums are good at rebuilding credit. I recommend this section MYFICO Rebuilding Forum. I will say that those lates are pretty old (with the exception of the one last year) and that they will fall off soon enough. Since you don't have any inqs I think you may want to try rebuilding at this point and you can burn 1-2 inqs + recon. The last thing you want is to open accounts with AFs if you can recon a decent no AF card with rewards.  

Message 12 of 18
dollarmenu
New Visitor

Thank you for the great advice!!

We are in the beginning of building a house and I was hoping to purchase my furniture/appliances on credit rather than cash, but it seems as if that will have to wait. I will continue to charge my cards monthly and pay them off.

Message 13 of 18
dollarmenu
New Visitor

Would it be a good time to request a CLI on my current capital one card?  $300 limit, I believe it's my one late payment in October 2012, I've had it for 2 years now.

Message 14 of 18
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Yup thats a good start; you can try online, but if that doesnt work then I would try emailing the executive offices for an increase and maybe they could attach a reward program if you dont have rewards already. 

Also try Cap Ones preapproval page. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 15 of 18
dollarmenu
New Visitor

Went online, upped it another $500 to a total of $800.  Guess I'll go make some purchases this month and start paying again.

Message 16 of 18
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Congrats! 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 17 of 18
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I'm glad to hear it. Capital One and GE are usually the most forgiving. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.