Did you mean: 

Best second credit card?

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best second credit card?

@gkinter wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good second credit card. I just got approved for a chase sapphire a couple of month ago with a $9000 starting limit. I am still building my credit and looking to keep improving my credit limit and score of course. Any ideas? I was looking for a good cash back card, but I got pre-approved for a couple of other travel cards as well like capital one venture or BOA travel rewards card. I was looking at the AMEX Blue Cash every day card. I am still fairly new to this, and I would love to hear everyone's suggestion for another credit card. Should I go with Citi? Capital One? BOA? AMEX? 

Thanks for the help in advance! Some info about me;

Income : $60,000

Credit cards:

$1300/$9000 Chase Sapphire 

0/$521 Capital One Platinum

Best buy credit card $2300/$3500

Bealls 0/300

MY scores are : 

745 Equifax

742 Transunion

738 Experian. 

Thank you again for the help!!

To answer your question, it really depends on what your typically spend money on and what benefits you like.   Are you looking for points or cash back?   Do you belong to any warehouse clubs?

As for Bealls and Cap One, I don't recommend closing those, since your other CCs both have balances.  People always seem to overlook that you need a good ratio of zero balances for credit optimization.  However, you should see if you're eligible to PC the Cap One card.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 56
BirchBarlow
Contributor

I would probably go with a Chase Freedom or a Discover because they both offer 90 day price protection, which seems to be lacking in travel cards.

Message 12 of 56
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

With those scores I would expect approval of almost any cash back card. What spending categories do you need extra cash back in?

See my cash back charts if you haven't already done so:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/m-p/4004730

Perhaps you should start with a card that gives 2% cash back on all purchases, like the Blispay card. Then figure out what categories you have significant spending in, and look for cards that have greater than 2% on those categories. For example, cards that give 5% on Gas station purchases, or 5% on Bookstore purchases.

You might also consider the US Bank Cash+ card.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 56
gkinter
New Contributor

I am basically just looking for a good cash back card that constantly going to give me CLI. My wife has a quicksilver card from Capital one and she received almost 10k auto increases in less than a year. Any ideas about that? 

Message 14 of 56
gkinter
New Contributor

I heard that in Texas they don't accept a discover card every place. Any bad experience like that in the past? 

Message 15 of 56
gkinter
New Contributor

Second credit card with biggest credit line

Hey everyone,

I would like to ask for some help. I am looking for a second credit card. I am looking for a cash back card possibly but it's not the most important thing. I am looking for a credit card that would offer the biggest credit line. Current cards I have

Chase Sapphire - $300/$9000

Capital One - 0/800

Bealls 0/300

Best Buy 2600/3500

Current credit:

753 Equifax

753 Transunion

741 Experian

Who has good experience with big starting credit limits? What would you guys suggest for me?

Thank you!

Message 16 of 56
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Second credit card with biggest credit line

So you're looking for a fairly high starting limit? I'm going to say Capital one Venture or maybe one of the Synchrony backed cards. Your TU score is very good! All of your scores are.. actually. Synchrony normally pulls TU and SP's for CLI's. The cards normally grow very quickly. Make sure it's something you have use for.
You could do Venture and eventually roll the limit into your older Capital one card. That's the technique I used to boost my oldest card with them.
Message 17 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony. You may not start really big but use it well for literally 1-2 months and you can get real boosts. I started with $3k three months ago, got to $6k and now $10k after two SP CLIs.
Message 18 of 56
gkinter
New Contributor

Thank you for the answers! It's funny because I forgot that I have a $4000 credit line with Synchrony... I bought a bed from sleep experts and it was through them. My balance is 0 there. Could I transfer that $4000 to a credit card ? 

Message 19 of 56
gkinter
New Contributor

thank you for your answer! Do you have a fairly good idea what's the avarage starting limit with the venture card? 

Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.