@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I shopped around last year at this time and settled on USAA, because:

1. You can choose an AmEx, MasterCard or Visa version of the card

2. APR is set at 9.9%

3. Annual fee is only $35

4. Your money goes into a CD that earns a little bit of interest

The only drawback is the card does not graduate.

Out of all the choices, u settled with one that doesn't graduate......makes no sense. I would highly suggest boa, my card went from a $300 secured card to a $6600 cash reward in about 1 year 4 months. Open secure card, wait til it graduate at 1 yr mark, PC to cash reward, take a hp for CLI.

True, I was a little naive. I hadn't found this website til 4 months after I got the card. But I went with USAA because my husband is a veteran and it was the lowest APR. I have always PIF since getting the card but I thought, at the time, that that was an important factor. My final choice was between USAA and BoA (the APR was the deciding factor). And Cap1 had just denied me a secured card because my CO with them was still showing on my CR at the time of the app.

Regardless, just because the card does not graduate does not mean it doesn't have ANY benefits. So I cancel it at the 2 year mark and it still appears for a total of 12 years and still factors into my AAoA and my payments are still there. There are pros and cons to each card we encounter. I was merely trying to be helpful.

Your post was helpful! Like you said, there is not one option that fits everyone. A secured card is a rebuilder card and used for a purpose  Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best secured CC.

Any of them that can be unsecured after a year or two. Look onto fnbo, boa or wells fargo. Capital one is good too, but it does not unsecure.
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

As my review thread states later, SDFCU (state dept federal credit union) may have the best program. Wish I would have found that before I got stated. join the american consumer council tobe SDFCU eligible. (Enter CONSUMER) in the promo code of the ACC app to beome a member for free!

Message 13 of 25
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

Very Good Information...Thank you to everyone!!

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 14 of 25
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Secured-cards-my-experience/m-p/3696888

Heres my review of the 5 secured cards I used to build up my file. Hopefully between those two threads you will find something that works well for you.

Thank you for sharing your exp with these cards. I will app for the Discover IT card soon.

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 15 of 25
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very good responses.. I hope it helps OP..

Yes Thank You all so very much. Been away busy with life. Sorry for the delay 

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 16 of 25
northface28
Established Contributor

The BOA $99/$500 secured is literally, MONEY!!!!

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 17 of 25
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

I went to the BOA site and cannot locate the secured card. Any helpful hints?

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 18 of 25
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

I went to the BOA site and cannot locate the secured card. Any helpful hints?

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card.go

You can't apply for the $99/$500 secured card, you need to apply for a regular card and they may deny the regular card and show you the 99/500 one. I did it in a branch, just to talk with someone so they can help to get what you want.

Good luck

Message 19 of 25
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Secured-cards-my-experience/m-p/3696888

Heres my review of the 5 secured cards I used to build up my file. Hopefully between those two threads you will find something that works well for you.

Thank you for sharing your exp with these cards. I will app for the Discover IT card soon.

Be careful with Discover - they will not always counter with the secured card offer. I applied last May thinking this would happen, but instead I was asked to add a co-applicant. If you can afford the HP, though, it does sound like the card might be good enough to be worth the risk.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.