Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best starter card with limited history

tag
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

Best starter card with limited history

Hello all. Been a while since I've posted.

I'll keep thing short and sweet. My brother had a Citi Student card for about 6 months, but there was a security breach and then they inexplicably closed on him and wouldn't reopen his account (he didn't have any baddies or anything, they just kinda screwed him over). That was about a year ago, so he has limited history. He is a college student with $10k income.

Today he asked me what the best card for him to get would be. If I recall correctly, I think it was Wells Fargo that was guaranteeing the graduation of secured cards after 18 months in a CD. Is that correct? Or was that CitiBank?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Best starter card with limited history

He could probably get an unsecured card...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 9
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

It would help me out if he would just pull his FICOs, but he's being cheap Smiley Happy

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 3 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

@jforsyth wrote:

It would help me out if he would just pull his FICOs, but he's being cheap Smiley Happy

Pulling just one should be fine, with thin credit its likely they're all similar enough.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

One FICO score, plus reports through AnnualCreditReport would be sufficient, I'd think. And perhaps an unsecured student card from Wells Fargo might be attainable. Or one of the other student cards out there. 

ImageImageImage

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

tell him to try AMEX ZYNC my daughter got this card with no credit history at all

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zync was one of the cards I tried to apply for originally with no credit history (not really knowing any better at the time) and they denied me because I didn't have any trade lines that were over 6 months old. That was back in 2010, so I don't know if the rules have changed.

Capital One would probably be a decent choice for a starter card. I know lots of people here at Cap1 haters (including myself for the Secured Card I have), but I haven't had any problems with the unsecured cap 1 card I have - above and beyond the fact that it really isn't going to grow.

Message 7 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I'd actually like to see this credit profile that has absolutely "no credit history at all" and still allowed for the approval of an AMEX Zync Card. My inclination is that it's not so bare of trade lines to begin with.

ImageImageImage

Message 8 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

@simonlarano wrote:

Hmm, I'd actually like to see this credit profile that has absolutely "no credit history at all" and still allowed for the approval of an AMEX Zync Card. My inclination is that it's not so bare of trade lines to begin with.

Yes, I think they're a great card after the first approval (9 months later or so).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.