Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best starter cards?

tag
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

Best starter cards?

Hey everyone. Been a while.

What would you guys say are the best starter cards nowadays for people with no credit whatsoever? My girlfriend is graduating from college next spring, and I want to get her building some credit before she enters the real world.

Is Wells Fargo still graduating secured cards to unsecured after 18 months? I'm not looking to start her off with a bunch of denials. No stretches please. Needs to be close to 100% acceptance for someone with no history whatsoever.

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Best starter cards?

Ideally she should build up portfolio of 3 cards to help build her FICO.  You guys are in collegel?  Also, does she have any income of any sort?  Also, try getting a credit report for her to double check it doesn't exist already (id theft is a problem).

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@jforsyth wrote:

Hey everyone. Been a while.

What would you guys say are the best starter cards nowadays for people with no credit whatsoever? My girlfriend is graduating from college next spring, and I want to get her building some credit before she enters the real world.

Is Wells Fargo still graduating secured cards to unsecured after 18 months? I'm not looking to start her off with a bunch of denials. No stretches please. Needs to be close to 100% acceptance for someone with no history whatsoever.

In general get a secured card from someone who you want a unsecured card from.

After 6 months you can get a credit score and then you have more options to add a few more cards. .

Most major banks, WF, CITI, USBank, BofA, Capitol One and many CU have them.

Message 3 of 5
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Capital One Journey Card?

Might be a low limit but it's a start.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If they are students with income, the student cards are likely a better fit.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.