Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best student cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best student cards

I previously asked about the best card for my son when he turns 18, i.e. a student card or a regular one. Since everyone thinks student, which is the best one? The discover one looks pretty bad... 0.25 percent rewards? The citi one and capital one card look nice, thoughts?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best student cards

I'd have to toss BOFA in the ring with their 1-2-3 rewards package now on student cards.

I thought the Discover More student card was effectively the same rewards-wise as the mainline Discover More product just with typically lower limits?

        
Message 2 of 14
andre181
Established Contributor

As a college student who has (within the last 2 years) upgraded to all adult cards, I think the best student cards are:

• Discover More Student (Its .25% for the first $3,000 of spending, and then 1%. And don't forget the quarterly 5% catagories)
  • Wells Fargo College Cash Back Visa (3% on gas, groceries, and drugstores for 6 months, then 1% cash back on everthing)
  • Citi Forward Student
Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 14
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Citi Forward Student is great. I got approved with no credt history/co-applicant. Read the threads concerning the card, you'll see the potential. Good luck.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 4 of 14
VeggieTales
Established Member

I also vote for Citi Forward. It has a great rewards program 

Chase $4K | Citi Dividend Platinum Select $2K | Citi Forward $2K | Capital One Platinum $2K | Discover IT $1.6K| Capital One Journey $750 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $500 | Macy's Store $500 |
Starting Score: 652 (TU, 04/15)
Current Score: 652 (TU, 04/15)
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 14
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

i added my son to my amex and walmart now and target and he has secured bofa yesterday he app for discover and citi forward both were approved 

Message 6 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I'd have to toss BOFA in the ring with their 1-2-3 rewards package now on student cards.

I thought the Discover More student card was effectively the same rewards-wise as the mainline Discover More product just with typically lower limits?

It is, but I believe you don't earn 1% cash back on non-bonus items until you spend $3000 dollars. Up until then you only earn 0.25% CB. 

I too would vote for the citi forward as the best student card, but the easiest to get approved for would be the cap1 journey. 

Message 7 of 14
cschick_old
Established Member

DIscover gave me a chance when noone else would as a student with no credit history and no cosigner. Not to say that people don't get student cards with "good" rewards but starting out as a student post card act this card is a starting point. Discover has grown with me and the 5% rotating categories are pretty decent. I'd look for something with a rewards structure that will make sense both while in school as well as for a year or two post graduation (since an autoloan or other financial thing may keep you from wanting to apply/getting approved for 'adult' cards immediately).

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 8 of 14
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

I never thought I'd say this about bofa, but their cash rewards card for students possibly the best student card available,  followed by citi student forward, and discover Student more.

I wouldn't recommend cap one, as the three above cards are likely to grow and eventually 'graduate' to adult cards with higher limits, whereas wih cap one you'd be stuck with the same card and same limit for a very long time (generally until you apply for a new card). Also cap one hps all three reports whereas the above issuers will generally hp one bureau. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a difference between the citi student forward and citi forward?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.