Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best student cards

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Best student cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a difference between the citi student forward and citi forward?

Student forward is geared toward students (same rewards structure) just different underwriting criteria, may be easier to qualify for. 

Message 11 of 14
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@cschick wrote:

DIscover gave me a chance when noone else would as a student with no credit history and no cosigner. Not to say that people don't get student cards with "good" rewards but starting out as a student post card act this card is a starting point. Discover has grown with me and the 5% rotating categories are pretty decent. I'd look for something with a rewards structure that will make sense both while in school as well as for a year or two post graduation (since an autoloan or other financial thing may keep you from wanting to apply/getting approved for 'adult' cards immediately).

Discover and Cap One gave me a chance with no credit history.

Other cards I applied for and got denied were: Bofa, Chase, Citi, GE Chevron.

I don't recomend cap one but if noone else approved him, it's the way to go.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 12 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:

@cschick wrote:

DIscover gave me a chance when noone else would as a student with no credit history and no cosigner. Not to say that people don't get student cards with "good" rewards but starting out as a student post card act this card is a starting point. Discover has grown with me and the 5% rotating categories are pretty decent. I'd look for something with a rewards structure that will make sense both while in school as well as for a year or two post graduation (since an autoloan or other financial thing may keep you from wanting to apply/getting approved for 'adult' cards immediately).

Discover and Cap One gave me a chance with no credit history.

Other cards I applied for and got denied were: Bofa, Chase, Citi, GE Chevron.

I don't recomend cap one but if noone else approved him, it's the way to go.

Yeah, cap1 gave me a card when no one else would (even though they had just denied me for their secured card a little bit earlier) and for that I'll always love them. 

If your son happens to bank with wells fargo, they'll give their student card to ANYONE that banks with them. I literally opened a bank account that day (while working on a fraud alert for my cap1 card (they were the closest bank to me and cap1 said to go anywhere)) I put down a $100 min deposit into their student checking account, and the banker put my app through after I left and called me later and said I was approved for $600. It isn't the best card ever, you can only get your cash back when you get atleast $25, which is hard to get to with a $600 limit, but it still helps you build credit. 

Message 13 of 14
CardinalRules
New Contributor

I think it's a tie between the Citi Forward and Discover More student versions. Citi has better rewards categories (5x points on movies, restaraunts, bookstores (including Amazon)). But Discover has great cashback opportunities with their 5% quarterly bonuses, ShopDiscover, and the many bonuses they run through the year. Wells Fargo has a terrible rewards program, but it can help establish history if you have short/no credit history. I personally prefer Discover because I believe Citi's Thank You points program is devalued.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.