Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to apply for 2nd Amex

tag
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Best time to apply for 2nd Amex

I just got my Amex green early Jan 2013, waiting for it to report for backing help on AAoA.

Is there any best time to make another application ? Before or after Green makes first report ?

I am looking at a revolver card from them.

Am I going to take another HP from them on EX ?  My EX has the most INQ's. and EX has been frozen since Oct.

Does anybody have any reports that applying through Credit Karma link gets a TU pull instead of EX ?

My TU has two INQ in Jan, my EQ has three in last 12 months two of them in April 2012 and one in Jun 2012.

My EX has 7 in last 12 monts, last one in Oct 2012.

Thank you.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Best time to apply for 2nd Amex

There a few members here who apply right after approval so give it a shotSmiley Happy But they do mainly pull EX, but if denied then its a SP

TU pullers are Discover, GE and Barclay

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 6
djrez4
Established Contributor

Applying for both at the same time would have been ideal.  Experian tends to merge simultaneous inquiries from the same lender.

For max backdating, do it today.  If you don't care, wait 6 months.

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@chnceit wrote:

There a few members here who apply right after approval so give it a shotSmiley Happy But they do mainly pull EX, but if denied then its a SP

As a community we really need to stop labelling Discover as a TU puller: a check of any online database that lists credit pulls will demonstrate that's not the case as it's close to evenly split between EQ and TU.  EX is an occasional one but still a possibility (potential inaccuracies in the data could account for that), but EQ unquestionably is in use.

        
Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

More on topic, it's been suggested that applying via CK for Amex will result in a pull on TU instead of the traditional EX.  Amex will occasionally pull a different bureau anyway so this is hard to determine until we get more data.  Whenever I do ever apply for another Amex will try via CK just to see as there's virtually no chance TU would be picked as an alternate bureau in my case for Amex over EQ.

As for a second Amex application, can do it now.  There's no mandatory waiting period assuming your last application was approved and we have hundreds of forum users that have been approved for multiple Amex cards in close succession.  99.987% (or close) will be a SP if denied regardless.

        
Message 5 of 6
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

As a community we really need to stop labelling Discover as a TU puller: a check of any online database that lists credit pulls will demonstrate that's not the case as it's close to evenly split between EQ and TU.  EX is an occasional one but still a possibility (potential inaccuracies in the data could account for that), but EQ unquestionably is in use.

OK to re-phrase that then in my experience and what Discovered pulled for me was TU Smiley Happy

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.