Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to apply for a credit card?

tag
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

Best time to apply for a credit card?

Can someone tell me what the best time of the year to apply for a credit card? or ask for an increase?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Best time to apply for a credit card?

Probably different for everyone, but I've always had the most success around the the holidays (of course) and then in the summer months right before back to school shopping starts. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 9
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Holidays, and I've also had success in the late afternoons, don't ask why but I never apply for a card over the weekend or first thing in the morning.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 3 of 9
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

If you're getting an AmEx that's going to be backdated do it in January for maximum AAoA. Otherwise, depends more on how the economy is doing, if banks are feeling generous.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strepthroat wrote:

Holidays, and I've also had success in the late afternoons, don't ask why but I never apply for a card over the weekend or first thing in the morning.

Late afternoons?  You'd think they would just decline everyone so they could run out of the office quicker!

@LTomBerry wrote:

If you're getting an AmEx that's going to be backdated do it in January for maximum AAoA. Otherwise, depends more on how the economy is doing, if banks are feeling generous.

Why would it matter if you're going to have it backdated? 

Message 5 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@..LTomBerry wrote:

They backdate the year, but the month is the application month.

Message 6 of 9
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@..LTomBerry wrote:

You know, I kept seeing this over and over and until I read the post by LTomBerry I never understood why january. Now I do.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@..LTomBerry wrote:

So if you are backdating to, say, 1999, you'd be better off apping in Jan 2012 than Dec 2011.  Makes sense!

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strepthroat wrote:

Wonder if a full moon helps/hinders?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.