Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best to Worst CC Customer Service

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best to Worst CC Customer Service

out of my 8 cards,  i've only called two of them . NFCU and Cap One.   Both of them have given me good service.  

Message 11 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Best to worst -

Discover - friendly and usually solves my issue without a problem. CLI and APR reductions are frequent; I appreciate that

AMEX - sometimes hard to understand, but friendly. Again, they do SP CLIs and APR reductions, and without any arguing or hassle

Cap One - only really used EO once and they doubled my limit before the 6 month mark, and were nice about it. generic CSRs are ok for answering basic questions but can't really achieve anything for you. They are usually friendly, just not especially helpful, but I blame it more on how Cap One structures their company vs. the employees themselves. they can't help it if they are given no authority.

Chase - honestly, they have never been very helpful towards me, in the past w/ Freedom card or now with Amazon. It is basically widely known fact that they will not grow with you (regarding APR reductions and CLI). I don't habitually carry a balance anyway, but a lender should recognize when you are not a risky customer and adjust APR accordingly, IMO. The one positive with Chase is combining limits is simple, allowing me to get a high limit Amazon.

Neutral - Barclay and Comenity. Haven't contacted them for anything yet, so can't really say.

Message 12 of 45
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I got my first AMEX card in 1987. The company that used to be known for its great customer service has fallen and can't get up. It's very sad. I am thinking of having a wake for it since it appears dead and rotting. Every call I make to them takes endless pushing of menu option and I am always on a recorded line with a rep in India. Having any kind of discussion with that noise is difficult. And this is for a PRG card with a fee of $195 per year. I expect and deserve more. It took multiple calls to get my member since date corrected. It should have taken ZERO because it should have been correct from the beginning. (A supervisor finally got this fixed and he credited my account by $30 or something simply because of all of the calls I had to make. That's a positive.

Also, I got my newest card on March 18. AMEX changed its policy on backdating. So what I was led to believe would be listed as a 28 YEAR account is now listed as a 28 DAYS account. Big difference. Pretty bait and switch. I do agree in principal that the actual date should be reported rather than the member since date, but don't tell me one thing to get me to take out the card and then change your policy without notice or anything. I am just glad I didn't open multiple AMEX accounts! These days the AMEX customer service rivals that of TransUnion and that is not a compliment. On the bright side, I love the AMEX website and the app. (Good thing since talking to anyone is a frustrating waste of time.)

Chase and Discover are tops in my book. I get real people quickly and they go the extra mile. AMEX doesn't even go the mile. I have the Barclay Arrival+ card and noticed that I now get better service than when I only had the Apple financing Visa. Calls are answered in Nevada. Very helpful agents.

Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair- They all tend to be good sometimes and really bad when it comes to all these companies. 

Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex (when i had it) was excellent and probably the best overall.

Cap 1 for me over the past 3 years has been excellent.  I have had success with chat, facebook, and follow up from the EO.  I admit I had a poor experience with them back in 2004, but they really have been great lately.

really not much of a need to contact other issuers other than closing accounts (Legacy, First premier, Credit One).

Message 15 of 45
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Discover - Always tops my list when these threads pop up. The experience is always pleasant, and I feel truly appreciated as a customer. The company I work for heavily emphasizes outstanding service for our customers, so I always praise other companies that do the same.

Chase CSP line - I always love it when I don't have to wade through a series of prompts and menus while constantly hitting 0 to try and get someone. The CSRs are always knowledgeable and eager to help. I will say that the overnight reps aren't as friendly, however.

Bank of America (when I had a card with them) - Extremely effective and efficient CSRs who know what they are doing and can communicate very well. 

Every other her bank is meh. AmEx has some very rude and surly reps at times. Citibank's reps are always U.S. based for me, but they lack a lot of capabilities at the frontline, unlike my top choices. 

Capital One (when I had their cards) was the worst. I cannot even begin to describe how giddy-headed and unintelligible some of the CSRs were when I called. It was so unbelievably frustrating trying to get valid charges processed or even to close the cards. Fortunately, I was able to close my last two online as of a year ago.

Message 16 of 45
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

1. CSP

2. AmEx

Message 17 of 45
skorpyo3
Frequent Contributor

Capital One has been phenomenal with me. I spoke with a rep last week from the Richmond, Va center who gave me his personal ID, offered to give me a follow-up call(He actually called!), and told me I could contact him anytime(I did!). The EO has been awesome as well. Even their outsourced customer service reps are very professional and friendly. I have no complaints whatsoever. The rep who went out of his for me received a plaque for outstanding customer service. I shared my experience with his supervisor. Smiley Happy Capital One has really stepped up their game from year's past.

|EQ 698|TU 674|EX 665| BK discharged 11/2012

[Amex PRG No PSL] [Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $50,000] [Barclaycard CashForward WMC $25,000] [Patelco CU MC $20,000] [BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $15,000] [Amex BCE $13,000] [Discover It Cashback $13,500] [US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $10,000][US Bank Platinum Visa $8,400] [Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10,000] [USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex $15,000] [Citi AAdvantage WMC $5,000] [Macy's Amex $7,500] [JCP $6,500] [Amazon Prime $6,000] [Target $2,000]
Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has always been great for me, although I know some people have had bad experiences. Maybe I'm just lucky. Chase is right up there as well. Every time I have called the reps have been extremely helpful and professional. A couple years ago my vote would have gone to Amex but I honestly think Chase has surpassed them at this point. 

Message 19 of 45
icyhot
Valued Contributor

1) BofA has been the best to me. Perhaps because I've been a banking customer with them for years. Anything I request, they give. CLIs, PCs, move limits to open another card, reconsiderations, everything. Only thing is you have to speak to a manager with more complicated things.

2) Citi is always polite and helpful. I hate that they can tend to be stingy with CLIs but they've always been helpful with moving limits. They seem to value you as a customer. The strict PCing and CLI rules is why they're under BofA.

3. Capital One sucks.

4. Haven't had much experience with Amex which is why they're last. They successfully reconed my app, which I heard never happens, but when I asked about my account I was given wrong info. Hopefully it will get better
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.