cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best to have a zero bal when asking for CLI?

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Best to have a zero bal when asking for CLI?

I want to call soon and get a CLI on my Orchard. Is it best to have a zero balance or?

thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best to have a zero bal when asking for CLI?

I would probably say best to have a 0 bal. Yes

If Orchard is anything like Crap1 with CLI's good luck!!

Message 2 of 10
arsenal04
New Contributor

I agree on having a 0 bal.  What is your current limit, how long have you had the card, and when was your last CLI?

Message 3 of 10
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I had a zero balance on my BOA CC when I asked for one of many now, credit line increases and it was then declined for not needing any more credit.

The way I took that to mean is the balance is zero, I run up only a few hundred dollars most months ( I have hit the $2K limit on it a couple of times) but have mostly paid off the balance each month. 

I hit the luv button again today and the message came back to call in.  I wont do that.  I did that once and was disappointed by the quality of person on the other end.   That time they said they did a "hard" pull and I asked if they could rescind that as I didn't want a hard pull.  They said they couldn't it was too late.

A hard inquiry never showed up.  Fibbers all.

Message 4 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

It really doesn't matter with Orcard as your chances are slim at best regardless.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always made sure to have a zero balance on every card I requested a CLI on, and have never been declined (Except Crap1 Smiley Mad)

Message 6 of 10
lithium78
Established Contributor

I had about $200 on a $700 CL Orchard Bank card and I called in last month for a CLI.  They increased the limit to $900.  I don't know if having it zeroed out would have increased the CLI, because Orchard Bank is very stingy with CLI as it is.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps a rule of thumb is a balance of no more than 20%.  But I think experiences differ. 

I dared not apply for an AMEX CLI with a balance.....but then did so with 16% balance and received the 60% increase I requested (10K raised to 16K).  But I PIF every month through autodebit without exception.

Additionally, I had never, EVER received a balance from Chase while PIF.  Then, I carried a 40% balance for 4 months and was rewarded with a 30% increase (10K up to 13K)....with the balance remaining! (ie., I have still not paid off completely).

Some say no balance and others say having a balance shows that you might need more credit. But ultimately it comes down to your comfort level.  I'd say so long as you don't look like a blaring credit risk, go for it!

Message 8 of 10
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Limit is 300. Never had an increase before. I think I'll wait until I'm below 20%.

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The ystem has been going in and out of being able to request a CLI at all but about 1-2 months ago they opened it back up but instead of the little $100-$300 CLI people including me had got over 6 months ago... this time they were pulling hards and being manually reviewed, some had great success in getting pretty large increases because they got this card back when they had terrible credit and now have great scores and few negatives... I got shot down based on my now settled car loan that has not updated correctly.

I'm only keeping my Best Buy MC to get over to Cap1 and then if it's still terrible I will close, don't need it... I have Navy!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.