Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best to pay bill in full? Or just statement balance

tag
forceedge99
Contributor

Best to pay bill in full? Or just statement balance

I usually always pay my bill in full, but one of my buddies was telling me I shouldn't so they see there's a balance or something.

Any opinions from you guys
BCE - 12k
Cap 1 QuickSilver - 1.75k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Your FICO® score at Equifax is 725 (Update: Increased to 751) =]
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
samm90
New Contributor

Re: Best to pay bill in full? Or just statement balance

I pay statement balance. More money earning interest in my acct that way.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 2 of 8
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I also pay the full statement balance.  I suppose if you are trying to minimize the balance reported to the CRAs, you'd be wise to pay the entire balance in full instead.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you are not going to be apping within 30 days for anything you can let the statement balance report, if you are expecting to app within 30 days then what you want to do is pay off all your revolving debt on all CCs prior to statement cut date with the exception of 1 that you would let report 1-9% of its CL. This gives you the best possible FICO in relation to utilization for your app.

Message 4 of 8
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I personally always pay in full unless I can't.

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@forceedge99 wrote:
I usually always pay my bill in full, but one of my buddies was telling me I shouldn't so they see there's a balance or something.

Any opinions from you guys

If your buddy is saying you should "carry a balance", i.e. not pay in full by due date, don't do that!  This is a common viewpoint outside forums like this.

An issuer knows what you have spent on their card of course.  Other issuers see what is reported to the credit reporting agencies.  This is usually the balance when the statement closes (and you have about three weeks to pay).   So that is all you need to do to show others that you are using a card.  Then pay the statement balance by the due date.

Message 6 of 8
forceedge99
Contributor

Well I'm not looking to app for a while now.
So does it matter to pay in full or just to pay statement balance?

Will either benefit you or does it not matter.

My buddy was saying to leave a balance because it looks good to credit lenders when there's a balance. So your the balance isn't always zero or something like that. Didn't quite understand
BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 7 of 8
forceedge99
Contributor

No, no. He's not saying not to pay, he's just saying not to pay the outstanding balance. He said to pay just the statement balance or just money towards it each due date.
BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.