Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best travel card for $10k-$15k/yr spending

tag
medcinmn
Established Member

Best travel card for $10k-$15k/yr spending

I have all cash back cards i use for category spending, but have about $10k - $15/yr in discretionary spending that doesn't fall into any category.  I am thinking of a points travel card for this.  I am initially drawn to the Cap One Venture for the 2pts/dollar reward.  

Thoughts or suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best travel card for $10k-$15k/yr spending

@medcinmn wrote:

I have all cash back cards i use for category spending, but have about $10k - $15/yr in discretionary spending that doesn't fall into any category.  I am thinking of a points travel card for this.  I am initially drawn to the Cap One Venture for the 2pts/dollar reward.  

Thoughts or suggestions?

If you don't do any international travel I would tend to think that a Capital One Quicksilver 1.5% or Fidelity Amex 2% would be a better return on $10-$15k of general spending.

I think a lot of the airline cards are not going to payoff until you clear at least $25k in annual spend and still not sure it's worth it if you don't travel very much, not on the same airline, and nothing international.

We have a few airline cards and we end up using them for the opening bonus and the free checked bag... I dislike them otherwise THUS far... however I am VERY interested in the new Virgin America card as "that" just might be a better every card for me that actually pays off.

perhaps southwest visa would be the other possible besides virgin america that works out for some people well despite the devalution they did not to long ago... some still seem to make it work well.

Message 2 of 6
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Maybe consider the Barclay Arrival card.  It is similar to the Venture card w/Cap 1 with 2% cash back rewards that you apply toward travel expenses.  However, you would also get back 10% of whatever amount of miles you redeem for travel (after the point of redemption).....so essentially it's 2.2% vs. 2% (with Cap1).

Currently, the AF for the Arrival is waived the 1st year.  But thereafter, it is $89 (vs. $59 w/Cap1)....so you would have to spend $15k just to make up the difference in the AF (if I'm doing my math correctly).  Although, the Arrival's current welcome bonus of 40k miles may make it worth it to you.....to have this card at least for the first year.  (Not sure if the Venture card is offering any welcome bonuses right now).

Anyway, just a suggestion.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 3 of 6
medcinmn
Established Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Barclay.  Forgot to mention, the little flying we do amounts to 1 -2 times per year, 4 people.

Message 4 of 6
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I would look into the Amex Blue Sky or even the Chase SW card if you fly Southwest domestically. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 5 of 6
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@medcinmn wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Barclay.  Forgot to mention, the little flying we do amounts to 1 -2 times per year, 4 people.

Also, FWIW, just wanted to add that Barclay typically pulls TU for a credit app; whereas Cap1 will pull all 3. 

Barclay is also known to be inquiry & new account-sensitive.  I haven't heard or read about that so much w/Cap 1.  (But, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with either CCC on this, so far anyway). 

I also believe it's easier to PC with Cap1 down the road (if you ever decided you no longer want the Venture card); whereas, with Barclay, I don't believe it's as easy to.  At least IME (you would have to do a new app altogether if you wanted to change to a different Barclay product later).

Just some other things to consider before app-ing for either.....if any of the above may matter to you.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.