Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best travel rewards cards for me?

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Best travel rewards cards for me?

I don't currently travel via airplane a lot, however I'd like a card(s) that will earn me points which I could redeem for flights. I don't spend a ton of money per month right now since I'm still a student in college. Right now, I'm thinking the chase freedom + CSP is the best combo for me? Suggestions?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Best travel rewards cards for me?

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

I don't currently travel via airplane a lot, however I'd like a card(s) that will earn me points which I could redeem for flights. I don't spend a ton of money per month right now since I'm still a student in college. Right now, I'm thinking the chase freedom + CSP is the best combo for me? Suggestions?

Depends on the type of travel you want, and your budget.

With the devaluations coming up for hyatt and united, certain flights / nights will need a lot more points compared to what it is right now. It also depends on your annual spend, and the type of spending you're doing.

If you're travelling on a budget, any 2-3% travel / general cashback card, such as Fidelity Amex, Barclays Arrival, etc. will probably serve your needs most.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

With the devaluations coming up for hyatt and united, certain flights / nights will need a lot more points compared to what it is right now. It also depends on your annual spend, and the type of spending you're doing.

If you're travelling on a budget, any 2-3% travel / general cashback card, such as Fidelity Amex, Barclays Arrival, etc. will probably serve your needs most.

My wife and I want to start traveling to different places a lot more for vacation. We went to Orlando (from vegas) last year for our anniversary, and want to do more trips like that. My spending will probably increase here soon as well, since I'm finishing college soon and will be getting a better job.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 3 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

My wife and I want to start traveling to different places a lot more for vacation. We went to Orlando (from vegas) last year for our anniversary, and want to do more trips like that. My spending will probably increase here soon as well, since I'm finishing college soon and will be getting a better job.

it depends on the airlines, destination and cabin type that you will be flying. 

for example if you're going to be flying on a budget airline in economy class and mostly for domestic travel, then a 2-3% general cashback / travel card will probably serve your needs best. However if you're planning an international trip on a more luxurious airline in F / J class, then credit cards that are part of UR / MR programs will probably be a better deal. Another factor that you need to take into consideration is your spending. You need a lot more points to redeem for a F / J ticket, which means you need to be spending a lot more on the card to get the points you need. If it's going to take you 5-10 years to accumulate those points for a sizable redemption, then the card won't really make much sense.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have to agree with enharu.  If income is low to moderate, CSP will take forever to get you the points for redemption.  True, the signup bonus is nice and the 1:1 transfer is a nice benefit. The devaluation with United is not a harsh with US travel too.

Barclays Arrival, QS or Fid Amex might be better choices. 

Message 5 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

it depends on the airlines, destination and cabin type that you will be flying. 

for example if you're going to be flying on a budget airline in economy class and mostly for domestic travel, then a 2-3% general cashback / travel card will probably serve your needs best. However if you're planning an international trip on a more luxurious airline in F / J class, then credit cards that are part of UR / MR programs will probably be a better deal. Another factor that you need to take into consideration is your spending. You need a lot more points to redeem for a F / J ticket, which means you need to be spending a lot more on the card to get the points you need. If it's going to take you 5-10 years to accumulate those points for a sizable redemption, then the card won't really make much sense.

Ah, I understand what you are saying now. Thank you for the clarification!

Message 6 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

I have to agree with enharu.  If income is low to moderate, CSP will take forever to get you the points for redemption.  True, the signup bonus is nice and the 1:1 transfer is a nice benefit. The devaluation with United is not a harsh with US travel too.

Barclays Arrival, QS or Fid Amex might be better choices. 

Thanks Lexie, at my current spending levels I don't think the CSP would be worth my time but when I'm ready to apply for it (6 months - 1 year) my spending levels should be a lot higher and it might be in my range. Thanks for the info!

Message 7 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am doing a lot of travel but unfortunately "budget" so Barclays Arrival works just great. It allows to use discount booking services like Expedia, Travelocity, etc for flights and Priceline, Hotwire,etc for hotels..lets you earn miles while flying towards status with the airlines and you can use the points for these purchases. Example: Booking a flight via Rewards Boost with extra miles, still collecting Expedia points, get a low discount fare, pay with Barclays miles and after all that earn my status miles with the airlines. Taxes can also be paid with Barclays miles. For Economy travel this card is the winner for me Smiley Happy But I have to say that I do not fly domestic but commute between the US and Europe. I have still a ton of StarAlliance miles and only use them when I can book a promo Business flight..deal is not worth for the full mile amount...so Barclays has been used quite a bit...afraid that Barclays will disable Rewards Boost one day on my account..LOL

Message 8 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I am doing a lot of travel but unfortunately "budget" so Barclays Arrival works just great. It allows to use discount booking services like Expedia, Travelocity, etc for flights and Priceline, Hotwire,etc for hotels..lets you earn miles while flying towards status with the airlines and you can use the points for these purchases. Example: Booking a flight via Rewards Boost with extra miles, still collecting Expedia points, get a low discount fare, pay with Barclays miles and after all that earn my status miles with the airlines. Taxes can also be paid with Barclays miles. For Economy travel this card is the winner for me Smiley Happy But I have to say that I do not fly domestic but commute between the US and Europe. I have still a ton of StarAlliance miles and only use them when I can book a promo Business flight..deal is not worth for the full mile amount...so Barclays has been used quite a bit...afraid that Barclays will disable Rewards Boost one day on my account..LOL

Sounds like this Barclays Arrival card is a winner. I'm going to have to check it out for sure, thanks for the info!

Message 9 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Just looking over the Barclays Arrival card, do you guys have the AF or non AF version?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.