Did you mean: 

Best type of Amex card to get

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

@chnceit wrote:

@nickn86 wrote:

This doesn't answer the question.  Why on earth would you rather have a card going through the Amex network rather than Visa/MC? All the benefits that I'm aware of that come from Amex relate to to its issuing bank rather than its network.

IMO some people like to get multiple cards with the same lenders (that they like and/or preffer)  that offer different "network cards" Like for example PenFed offers both AMEX and Visa rewards cards which are great. Some people like myself would want to get both instead of these since the awards are great and it would only cost me one credit pull. This is just my two cents. 

Credit inquiries are pretty overrated anyway, one vs. two isn't a big deal and I don't know of many lenders which do it that way anyway; actually Amex is one of the few to my knowledge, not certain on Penfed though their SP pre-approvals make that irrelevant for the pretty FICO people anyway.

        
Message 31 of 33
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@nickn86 wrote:

This doesn't answer the question.  Why on earth would you rather have a card going through the Amex network rather than Visa/MC? All the benefits that I'm aware of that come from Amex relate to to its issuing bank rather than its network.

IMO some people like to get multiple cards with the same lenders (that they like and/or preffer)  that offer different "network cards" Like for example PenFed offers both AMEX and Visa rewards cards which are great. Some people like myself would want to get both instead of these since the awards are great and it would only cost me one credit pull. This is just my two cents. 

Credit inquiries are pretty overrated anyway, one vs. two isn't a big deal and I don't know of many lenders which do it that way anyway; actually Amex is one of the few to my knowledge, not certain on Penfed though their SP pre-approvals make that irrelevant for the pretty FICO people anyway.

Understandble about the credit pulls. But one to many will hurt in the eyes of a lender. PenFed will use the same credit pull for 90 days for multiple credit products.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 32 of 33
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Wow I got approved for the blue, and pref gold card!

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.