cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best type of Amex card to get

Established Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

IMO any card that is branded American Express but you dont have to hassle with American Express is the best card to get. USAA, BofA and Citi bank are just a few lenders that have Amex branded cards.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,


IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1









Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 21 of 33
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get


idonthaveaname wrote:

Thanks a lot! Sorry for being neurotic I just don't want another hit. Also since it doesn't allow me to log in and apply for the card due to an error, if I just fill out a new application will the system still go through the same procedures from someone as a current cardholder?


I'm pretty confident that the system will recognize you as a current cardholder when you apply, even if you are not logged in. Maybe someone who has actually apped when not logged in and gotten an sp denial from amex can confirm this just to be sure though.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 22 of 33
New Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

Applied for blue says I gotta wait 14days maybe I'll go for abetter charge card

Message 23 of 33
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

Did you check the app status page?

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 33
New Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

No I didn't see where to do this.

 

I did get approved for the gold preferred. Should I keep the zync card? My high balance was about 6k one month

Message 25 of 33
Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get


dodgeball wrote:

IMO any card that is branded American Express but you dont have to hassle with American Express is the best card to get. USAA, BofA and Citi bank are just a few lenders that have Amex branded cards.


What?  I don't get it.  What's the benefit of having a card that goes through the Amex network that is not issued by Amex?  All that seems to mean is the card will be accepted at less places than a Visa/MC.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 26 of 33
Valued Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get


nickn86 wrote:

dodgeball wrote:

IMO any card that is branded American Express but you dont have to hassle with American Express is the best card to get. USAA, BofA and Citi bank are just a few lenders that have Amex branded cards.


What?  I don't get it.  What's the benefit of having a card that goes through the Amex network that is not issued by Amex?  All that seems to mean is the card will be accepted at less places than a Visa/MC.


Because AMEX customer service can be terrible.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 27 of 33
Valued Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get


idonthaveaname wrote:

No I didn't see where to do this.

 

I did get approved for the gold preferred. Should I keep the zync card? My high balance was about 6k one month


Here you go https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do


Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 28 of 33
Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

This doesn't answer the question.  Why on earth would you rather have a card going through the Amex network rather than Visa/MC? All the benefits that I'm aware of that come from Amex relate to to its issuing bank rather than its network.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 29 of 33
Valued Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get


nickn86 wrote:

This doesn't answer the question.  Why on earth would you rather have a card going through the Amex network rather than Visa/MC? All the benefits that I'm aware of that come from Amex relate to to its issuing bank rather than its network.


IMO some people like to get multiple cards with the same lenders (that they like and/or preffer)  that offer different "network cards" Like for example PenFed offers both AMEX and Visa rewards cards which are great. Some people like myself would want to get both instead of these since the awards are great and it would only cost me one credit pull. This is just my two cents. 


Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 30 of 33